4 Or 5 Card 16

This is a Basic Strategy question. It does not take the count into consideration.

Here is a situation that occurs quite frequently, and I have noticed that the majority of the time, a hit on a 4-5-6 card 16 is a bust.

What happens is that you start out with a hand like 6,7 and you hit and get a 2 for 15, and then you hit and get an A for 16. You hit again because BS tells you to, even though you know you are going to bust.

I am just wondering if at some point, after a certain number of lower cards are dealt to get to 16, that the probability of flipping a face card becomes so high that it would be better just to stand?

If so is there a chart somewhere with these exceptions?

Licentia.

Last edited:

RenoRenagade

Licentia said:
Here is a situation that occurs quite frequently, and I have noticed that the majority of the time, a hit on a 4-5-6 card 16 is a bust.

What happens is that you start out with a hand like 6,7 and you hit and get a 2 for 15, and then you hit and get an A for 16. You hit again because BS tells you to, even though you know you are going to bust.

I am just wondering if at some point, after a certain number of lower cards are dealt to get to 16, that the probability of flipping a face card becomes so high that it would be better just to stand?

Licentia.

Their called indexes, go look them up.

I wont hit 3 card 15/16 of the count is positive . Maybe is the dealers up card is a T I might hit the 15 and the count is just +1.

Sometimes you go against BS if the count tells you to .

Same with things like Insurance , I will take it with a count +2 or greater everytime.

RenoRenagade said:
Their called indexes, go look them up.

I wont hit 3 card 15/16 of the count is positive . Maybe is the dealers up card is a T I might hit the 15 and the count is just +1.

Sometimes you go against BS if the count tells you to .

Same with things like Insurance , I will take it with a count +2 or greater everytime.
Sorry, should have clarified. I am just talking about straight Basic Strategy. Not counting.

LiCeNtIa

EasyRhino

Well, the counting index for 16v10 is 0. Meaning, at counts of zero or higher, you should hit. It's a razor thin margin.

However, basic strategy is developed for first play off the top of a freshly shuffled deck. So in a realistic case, you've got at least one high card (the dealer's 10) and either a high-and-low card, or two medium cards (your 16). In this case, the running count in now -1.

That's just enough to turn you decision into a "hit" from a stand.

So there's all kinds of fancified basic strategies you can use, which would be slightly more accurate when playing 16v10:

- Stand on any multi card 16 v 10
- Stand on any 16 v 10 if you see any 5s on the felt
- Stand on any multi card 16 v 10 unless there are more 6s than 5s on the felt
- Others I can't remember

(I like the third one).

If you're counting, you should determine your play by the count.

sagefr0g

EasyRhino said:
Well, the counting index for 16v10 is 0. Meaning, at counts of zero or higher, you should hit. It's a razor thin margin.
i think you meant to say stand if tc>=0, otherwise hit. :cat:

Unshake

Licentia said:
Sorry, should have clarified. I am just talking about straight Basic Strategy. Not counting.

LiCeNtIa
Well if you weren't counting it would just be a complete guess is to if the count as positive or negative... You might assume that yeah, it took me 5 low cards to get my 16 so I'm most likely going to bust, but maybe the count was -15 going into that hand.

Without knowing any additional information about the cards remaining in the shoe it is just a guess. Unless this is the first hand and there are more low cards on the table than high ones, then I would stand. Otherwise, you're just guessing what cards remain.

Kasi

Licentia said:
Sorry, should have clarified. I am just talking about straight Basic Strategy. Not counting. LiCeNtIa
I think you'd be safe adopting the "always stand on all multi-card 16's vs 10", like Rhino said, for 2 or more decks. You could always look around and find specific EV's for all the different combinations of 3-card 16's for your game and make a list if you wanted.

I think in 6 decks, you could amend BS to "Stand on all 4-card A,7's vs A" if you wanted.

There are many more of these potential amendments to BS the fewer the decks.

I think if you actually hit that 6,7,2,A vs 10 in an S17 game, you did the right thing!

Licentia said:
This is a Basic Strategy question. It does not take the count into consideration.

Licentia.
Always stand with 3 or more card 16 vs 10 from 1D to 8D, even CSM's
Here is a link to what you want http://wizardofodds.com/blackjack/appendix18.html

jack.jackson

EasyRhino said:
Usually it's just my east and west I get confused, but today it's been up and down, too. It's okay though, I'm drunk.
For awhile it was clock-wise and counter clock-wise for me, but I think I finally got that one clocked:joker:

Kasi

EasyRhino said:
Usually it's just my east and west I get confused, but today it's been up and down, too. It's okay though, I'm drunk.
Are you currently employing the proven vodka and Red Bull strategy :)

My system is different tonite - the boring vodka and OJ strategy lol.

quipper said:
Always stand with 3 or more card 16 vs 10 from 1D to 8D, even CSM's
Here is a link to what you want http://wizardofodds.com/blackjack/appendix18.html
Nice! Thanks.

I found this as well online:

"Suppose you have 10/6 against the dealer's 10 up. A pure basic strategy card says to hit that hand -- and correctly so. But what if you're dealt say, 8/5 against that 10, hit and catch a 3 to make 16? These kinds of specifics go beyond a pure basic strategy chart. Whenever you've taken that ultra-valuable 5 out of play, rendering it unavailable to your lame 16, you should now stand with 16 against a 10!

In fact, anytime your 16 contains either a 4 or a 5, you should stand against a 10 -- but only against a 10. That's called the "Rule of 45." It's correct. You should play by it."

Licentia.

Last edited:

Kasi

Licentia said:
Nice! Thanks.
In fact, anytime your 16 contains either a 4 or a 5, you should stand against a 10 -- but only against a 10. That's called the "Rule of 45." It's correct. You should play by it."[/I] Licentia.
It's a good rule to follow - the exceptions to it are hit a 10,4,2 and 6,6,4
for any number of decks in an S17 game.

Not that it matters lol.