5 or 6

Will someone please explain how a 5 upcard is worse than a 6 for the dealer. I know it's a very small fraction of a percentage, but I have a bet with a bud and don't know how to explain it. Hopefully I am correct. Thanks

cheese said:
Will someone please explain how a 5 upcard is worse than a 6 for the dealer. I know it's a very small fraction of a percentage, but I have a bet with a bud and don't know how to explain it. Hopefully I am correct. Thanks
If I'm not mistaken, Five is worst for the dealer (in terms of bust percentage, anyway) in a S17 game, six is worst in H17. In an S17 game the dealer can make a pat hand with an ace in the hole.

FLASH1296

The dealer in a H17 game will fare a bit better on his SIX UP than a dealer in a S17 game.

7.7% of the time s/he will flip over an Ace and get to hit the SOFT 17.

Busting requires, at minimum, a FOUR card hand, to exceed 21.

If you are playing a S17 game you prefer the dealer's upcard to be a 6.

If you are playing a H17 game you prefer the dealer's upcard to be a 5.

NightStalker

Your statement is wrong, so does most of the replies..

As far as dealer upcard, 6 is definitely better for player than 5..
Dealer will bust more with 6 instead of 5 in any game except s17 single deck game-which are virtually zero. Bust probability is same in s17 dd game. Rest all games,6 bust more often than 5..

I think you are confused with EoR numbers::
5 has higher EoR because Dealer can never bust with '5' while '6' is good enough to bust dealer hard 16.. Same goes with double on 11 :)
'5' will mostly make dealer weak up card into a strong hand enough to beat most of your stiff splits and double downs..
Yes, there are various other reasons too..

FLASH1296

With S17 the dealer's Soft 17 prevents him from busting, while in a H17 game the dealer's Soft 17 occasionally busts, ergo
the dealer's bust % cannot be the same for an upcard of SIX. Q. E. D.

iCountNTrack

cheese said:
I am afraid that is not true
Only for single deck is the bust rate of a dealer larger for a 5 upcard than a 6 upcard (for multiple decks 6 is always higher), however you can see for the dealer's hand's probabilities (S17) that the higher hands (19, 20, 21) are larger for 5

In any case a 6 upcard for the dealer is about 3% better in ev than a 5 for the player.

A 5 is not necessarily worse, just that getting stuck with a stiff is worse against a 6 than a 5, for the aforementioned reason that in a S17 game he might have a soft 17 and no chance of busting. A dealer will always bust more in a H17 game, but that is the only thing about it that's better for the player.

NightStalker

Wrong

Automatic Monkey said:
getting stuck with a stiff is worse against a 6 than a 5, for the aforementioned reason that in a S17 game he might have a soft 17 and no chance of busting.
in s17 games with 3 or more decks, 6 upcard has higher probability.
Only in s17 single deck, 5-upcard will bust more than 6..
A-6 is okay, but what about 6-6 which is more bustable but not 5-6.

NightStalker said:
in s17 games with 3 or more decks, 6 upcard has higher probability.
Only in s17 single deck, 5-upcard will bust more than 6..
A-6 is okay, but what about 6-6 which is more bustable but not 5-6.
It is probably comp dependent as well, being it is so close.

FLASH1296

I have never "flamed" anyone on this forum before but after viewing your two preceding posts ...

Re: the former "always seems to bust" suggests that you do not know the basic facts of B.J., no less the "bust percentages."

Re: the latter - an egregious waste of screen pixels. Do you think that we appreciate wasting our time?

blackriver

FLASH1296 said:
I have never "flamed" anyone on this forum before but after viewing your two preceding posts ...

Re: the former "always seems to bust" suggests that you do not know the basic facts of B.J., no less the "bust percentages."

Re: the latter - an egregious waste of screen pixels. Do you think that we appreciate wasting our time?
my post was pretty clearly a joke. i thought the topic was thoroughly addressed so by the time anyone got to mine they would already be set straight.

i figured it was possible someone wouldnt get it so the hilarious link beneither is comical for the same reasons which i thought would clear things up. i guess not:confused: