A Tip on Tipping

tedloc

Rathole

I've go better things to do, than worry about how much to tip.

apex said:
If you just had a big winning session, there will be social pressure to tip the dealer well. Lately, I have been strategicly ratholing my chips to lessen the pressure. I make sure when it is time to color-up, the left-over chips are the ammount I want to tip.

Example: You are in for $400 and just had a great session. Your dealer is leaving soon. You have $30 in red, and $2450 in green. If you push in your chips this way you will get back 4 purp 4 black 3 green and 1 red. Many dealers expect to get your green and red in this case. Sometimes other players even remind you to leave a nice tip. Instead of cashing in that way, try this:

If you want to tip:

$30 - rathole $50 of green.
$25 - rathole a $5 red and $50 of green
$5 - rathole $75 of green
$0 - rathole $5 of red and $75 of green

In all of these cases, you get back large denom chips and the amount you want to tip in smaller change. Your small tips will look more reasonable this way.

apex said:
If you just had a big winning session, there will be social pressure to tip the dealer well. Lately, I have been strategicly ratholing my chips to lessen the pressure. I make sure when it is time to color-up, the left-over chips are the ammount I want to tip.

Example: You are in for $400 and just had a great session. Your dealer is leaving soon. You have $30 in red, and $2450 in green. If you push in your chips this way you will get back 4 purp 4 black 3 green and 1 red. Many dealers expect to get your green and red in this case. Sometimes other players even remind you to leave a nice tip. Instead of cashing in that way, try this:

If you want to tip:

$30 - rathole $50 of green.
$25 - rathole a $5 red and $50 of green
$5 - rathole $75 of green
$0 - rathole $5 of red and $75 of green

In all of these cases, you get back large denom chips and the amount you want to tip in smaller change. Your small tips will look more reasonable this way.
Tipping makes your life easier at the tables and is something a card counter is not prone to do since his edge is so small to begin with. These are the reasons to tip. Who cares about social convention or pressure. Dealers know I tip when I do well. They are more prone to want me to do well which can make a difference.

BJLFS

One reason why I tip is to remain in good graces with the PC. At my home store eveyone knows I count and I don't want to get on their bad side. What I do is once or twice an hour I will put out a bet for the dealer. They seem to appreciate it.

jaygruden

I'll tip modestly on winning sessions but very stingy with tips on losing sessions. I don't feel obligated to tip and if the "service" is poor I will not tip at all. I do tip primarily for cover, because I think I look more like your average joe player. There are some dealers who let me "buy" penetration. With some dealers who I have a good rapport with, I've asked for better pen and got it. I'll tip these dealers because they are increasing my EV. I'm sure a few know I'm counting but don't care as long as I am tipping. I never "over tip" and compared with most players I tip average to below ave. I think it's a matter of personal choice. I'm not a full time player either, so that likely makes a difference too.