A variation of the Anchorman myth

ExhibitCAA

Jimbob: I can't tell you how many times we went to $25 on the side bet only to have the drunk at first base win the side bet while we got crushed. I think the problem here is that the advantage only appears for a short time and once its gone, its gone. So the cards dealt to one player can make the advantage disappear. The regular blackjack count is not that way. Let's say that you have the advantage right now because the remaining cards are rich in the 7 of diamonds. So you place that $25 side bet. The advantage you have might be quite high. but, if the player at first base gets a 7 of diamonds you just lost your advantage. And for some reason, it happens more often than not that another player not part of your team will get the cards you wanted.

This is wrong. This is a variation of the Third-Base-Taking-the-Bust-Card myth, the Standard-Deviation-Effect-Proposed-by-Monsterbettor myth, and others. While the first base player may eat up the 7 of diamonds that you want, he may also eat up the 2 of clubs that you didn't want. For a given round, if your count (and it works for the side bet count just as it does for the regular BJ count) identifies an edge, then the presence of a first-base civiian does not affect your expectation. Who cares if the civilian sits in front of you or behind you? It doesn't matter.

I will try one argument, and this is mainly for the group, as I do not expect jimbob to follow the logic, and his lightbulb will never go on with regard to this topic (especially because his personal "experience" is that the civilian not with the crew always gets the good cards). Suppose you are playing heads up with the dealer. Your count identifies a positive-expectation opportunity for a side bet that is based on your first two cards and the dealer's upcard. If the hand is dealt now, your sidebet will be based on cards 1, 2, and 3 of the remaining pack. Suppose a civilian sits in front of you. Now your sidebet is based on cards 2, 3, and 5. If the civilian sits behind you, your sidebet is based on cards 1, 3, and 4. Here's the question: Given that you assume the remaining pack is randomly ordered, and that your count identifies a positive expectation, is there any difference in expectation for these three sets of cards:

A. cards 1 2 3
B. cards 2 3 5
C. cards 1 3 4

Of course the answer is NO!

For those of you who play poker: At the start of a new table, when everyone draws for the button, a deck of cards is spread facedown on the table. Each player draws a card and the high card gets the button. Does it matter if you draw your card before or after another player draws his? This is the same issue as jimbob's "interfering civilian" at first base. If the deck is randomly ordered, it doesn't matter who goes first.

For coin flippers: Does it matter who calls the flip?

Now, the part where people like Jimbob start to mix things up is this. Let's say that your current depth in the shoe is 66, which I define to mean that you have seen and counted 66 cards already. At the table, when the 67th card goes to the first-base player, and it happens to be the 7 of diamonds, you think to yourself, "Darn, NOW my edge is gone, and I want to take my sidebet down." True enough. Likewise, if the 2 of clubs hits the first-base player, you might want to bet even more on the sidebet. But these statements are just saying that you can make a better bet at a depth of 67 than at the 66 depth, i.e., a bet with 67 cards seen is stronger than a bet with 66 cards seen. But it all revolves around the information. Whether or not there is a guy at first base, if you have seen and counted 66 cards, then your expectation on your sidebet is unaffected by the other player. On that round, when you place the bet having seen 66 cards, does your expectation change if the civilian (who has been there for hours) sits out the hand or not?

In a high count, if you think that the civilian gets the good cards "more often" than you do, then you are the same type of person who agonizes when I get a Straight Flush with no Pair Plus bet. You then tell everybody how I get way more Straight Flushes than anyone else, and that if I were to bet my Pair Plus, I'd make a killing. Yeah, right.

FLASH1296

Not only was the substance of the post by ExhibitCAA a delight, but it was well-crafted with pointedly crystal-clear syntax.

The logic-driven facts are glaringly obvious.

The innumerate's inability to grasp the obvious does not deter the iconoclast's mission; as the presentation of the proof matters most.

A Singular Joy to Read.

FLASH1296 said:
Not only was the substance of the post by ExhibitCAA a delight, but it was well-crafted with pointedly crystal-clear syntax.

The logic-driven facts are glaringly obvious.

The innumerate's inability to grasp the obvious does not deter the iconoclast's mission; as the presentation of the proof matters most.

A Singular Joy to Read.
I found it to be a wasted gas bag of a post. Moderator - move this thread
to Voodoo where it belongs and might be read by someone who needs it. zg

iCountNTrack

Short Vacation

Are you kidding me ZG, you think t=CAA's post was useless, well that is you can call me whatever you want (King Stork) but due to repetitive/continuous flaming ZG has been sent on a short vacation with InPlay. We will try again in 3 days.

iCountNTrack said:
Are you kidding me ZG, you think t=CAA's post was useless, well that is you can call me whatever you want (King Stork) but due to repetitive/continuous flaming ZG has been sent on a short vacation with InPlay. We will try again in 3 days.
You are absolutely wrong. ZG criticized the post, he did not flame the poster. I happen to have appreciated the post and pretty much everything Dr. CAA writes, but your reaction comes across as phony and obsequious rather than an action to maintain order on this site.

Now I'm banning you and your sanctimony from my monitor by putting you on ignore. Odd that of all the spammers, voodoo posters, billingsgate-spewing blackguards and semi-literates who show up here you would be the only one offensive enough to ignore.

iCountNTrack

Automatic Monkey said:
You are absolutely wrong. ZG criticized the post, he did not flame the poster. I happen to have appreciated the post and pretty much everything Dr. CAA writes, but your reaction comes across as phony and obsequious rather than an action to maintain order on this site.

Now I'm banning you and your sanctimony from my monitor by putting you on ignore. Odd that of all the spammers, voodoo posters, billingsgate-spewing blackguards and semi-literates who show up here you would be the only one offensive enough to ignore.
:rolleyes:

Yeah okay you are so wise, he was just innocently criticizing a post over three months that he just randomly happened to find. I find this to be very naive from your part.

Katweezel

iCountNTrack said:
I must say i find this mildly amusing, keep'em coming.
OK, so zg might have called you some S-names one time too many. Getting banned for three days on this occasion hardly fitted the bill for a revenge attack. After all, he just asks politely for the moderator to move it to voodoo. No name calling at all. How was it offensive and warranted such a harsh penalty?:confused:

Deathclutch

Katweezel said:
OK, so zg might have called you some S-names one time too many. Getting banned for three days on this occasion hardly fitted the bill for a revenge attack. After all, he just asks politely for the moderator to move it to voodoo. No name calling at all. How was it offensive and warranted such a harsh penalty?:confused:
Why would this be put in the voodoo section? Have you read the post? All it was was an indirect way to attempt to stir up some controversy, which seems to have worked somewhat, although I doubt in the intended way.