Ace/Five Count

Wacky

I stumbled across this on Wizard of Odds about a simple counting strategy, called Ace/Five count. I am a recreational blackjack player and have always just played basic strategy, so I know that I am at an overall disadvantage.

Is this strategy effective in double deck games as well, or is it only good for shoe games with 6/8 decks?

I can play in a double deck game with the following rules:
hit soft 17
late surrender
double any two
double after split
re-split aces

Is it worth it to try this counting system on this game? I am not interested in becoming a professional, just trying to reduce the house edge, and or possibly gain a small player edge.

Thanks.

boneuphtoner

Is it worth it to try this counting system on this game? I am not interested in becoming a professional, just trying to reduce the house edge, and or possibly gain a small player edge.
This count will definitely with reduce the house edge and put you on the positiive side of the long term....no quesiton about it....a simple 1-8 spread at a 6 decker produces positive SCOREs across all the standard penetrations in CVCX. They are very low SCORES, but it is on the positive side of things. A 1-4 spread will even put you over the top with a whopping SCORE of $0.02 at six deck penetrations of 78% and higher.

Is it worth it? As an amateur myself, I can't answer that one, but there is almost no effort required to learn this count. If you are willing to invest just a little more time, KO Rookie is probably at least 10 times stronger, and there are no indexes or bet ramps to remember.

Caesar

Ace-5 okay for dbl. decks

"according to John May's chart in Get the Edge at Blackjack here are the figures for the Ace/five count: play efficiency = .09 , bet efficiency = .55 , insurance efficency = 0 .
compare to hi/lo : play efficiency = .51 , bet efficiency = .97 , insurance efficiency = .76
should give one an idea of the relative power of the Ace/five count"

This book by John May has a page or two on the Ace/Five count. He suggests using it for games with less than 6 decks. By looking at the numbers above you can see that KO is stronger, but definitely not ten times stronger.
The Ace/Five count is easy to use and is a good approach combined with perfect basic strategy.

FLASH1296

The "Ace-Five Count" is a very good way for a recreational player to
painlessly reduce the House Edge by a little bit; BUT it needs to be
understood that it has almost NO power at all in a game with more than 2 decks.