Advantage of High Cards

chessplayer

Hi,

I have read before a list of advantages of high cards but I can no longer find it. It lists up to 8 or so advantages(And it does not really count the how corresponding small cards help the dealer, hence not doubling the list)

Anyways, Now I can think of only four:

Helps blackjack which pays 3:2
Breaks dealer hand who is forced to reach 17
Makes the doubles successful.
Enable the split 7 to 9 be more successful(Because only we can choose to split and we do so only when it benefits us)

iCountNTrack

chessplayer said:
Hi,

I have read before a list of advantages of high cards but I can no longer find it. It lists up to 8 or so advantages(And it does not really count the how corresponding small cards help the dealer, hence not doubling the list)

Enable the split 7 to 9 be more successful(Because only we can choose to split and we do so only when it benefits us)
The advantages you talk about could be very well summarized using a positive TC, at positve TC, there is a higher density of high cards--> At any instant there will be a higher probability that the next card drawn will be a high card --> hence the marvels you list ( i would also add higher frequency of getting a 20).

If you want to look at the advantage of each high card per say, for typical rules if your first card is an ace it is ~53% and for a ten ~12%.

Last edited:

chessplayer

Very Good. And while you are at it,

1)According to many tables I have seen, the chances of your two hands are:

Natural 21 Blackjack 4.8%
Hard Standing (17 - 20) 30.0%
Decision Hands (2-16) 38.7%
No Bust 26.5%
Total (all two card hands) 100%

I cannot figure out what 'No Bust' means.

2)I can find Advantages based on dealers' card ALONE , Or advantages according to both Players' card and dealers' card. However I cannot find the Advantage due to player's cards ALONE.

For instance,

http://www.lolblackjack.com/blackjack/probability-odds/

Lists Advantage on dealer'scard ALONE,

while

http://wizardofodds.com/blackjack/appendix5.html

Lists Advantage on BOTH player and dealer.

However I cannot find one which lists on player's alone, such as if he has 3,4 or 7 his expected advantage is xx.

Cardcounter

No bust hands are hands under 11 or soft 18 or lower where you can hit and have a zero percent chance of busting. You should classify decison hands as hard 12-16 soft hands of 18 or under and pair hands.

chessplayer said:
Hi,

You can include split aces bearing better fruit, and deleting split 7's, because a 17 isn't exactly what you're hoping for in that play. But being a lot of the split plays are done in hopes of getting a hard double hand, it is all related.

It allows you to make a certain profitable sidebet. (Insurance.)

Another, general benefit is making the initial asymmetry of the blackjack deck more asymmetric, thus making your playing strategy more accurate. When you surrender 16 vs. 10, the surer you are that the next card is a 10 or the dealer's down card is a 10, the more profitable that play becomes. If there are a lot more low cards the play becomes less useful, down to the point where if the count is low enough, surrendering becomes the wrong play but unless you are using that unusual index you are going to surrender anyway.