Another counter

LordDante

Yesterday while i was playing heads up with the dealer, a gentleman sat down at my table.

I was like 60 units up.
I started to lose shoe after shoe, i was talking to the dealer and observed in a particular shoe that we were raising our bets at the same time(i was raising more often than him but this time it was in the depth of the shoe), i realized he was counting with a more simple count system or an unbalanced one.

We raised our top bets (his top bet was bigger than mine) and used 2 spots each, the count was rising and rising.
The worst case scenario happened "the count never dropped".

I ST those cards and raised my bet in the subsequent shoe and recover all of my losses(he kept losing and he was looking at me like "lucky ploppy")

p.s. he had a good act but i left after that shoe.
So the question is
Two counters in the same table? is this non profitable?
What to do? leave?
is losing a coincidence?

Dante

callipygian

The other counter won't affect your EV or variance, since you play against the house. However, he might affect your win rate by eating high count cards when he spreads to two hands.

As for tracking, other people at the table will reduce the number of times you get to cut, but that's not specific to counters.

EasyRhino

I dunno, the straight counter is going to be easier to detect, and might accidentally draw attention to your shuffletrack game. Or at least your counting game.

I'd probably still treat the guy as toxic.

Mimosine

it is profitable so long as you aren't playing with the same bankroll (i.e. team play).

it is dangerous since it has the potential to attract more attention.

cardcounter0

LordDante said:
Thank you for your advices.

i don't know how to use this information.:confused:
Suppose you ST and cut a 10 rich slug to the front of the shoe:
The ST is going to be betting big at the start of the shoe.
The counter always bets small at the start of the shoe until he gets a "good" count.

As the ten rich slug is played out:
The ST is going to continue to bet big or maybe even bet more since he now knows is estimate of the slug location was correct.
The counter is going to be decreasing his bet since the count is going negative.

Suppose you have a very juicy slug waiting somewhere in the middle of the shoe:
The ST is going to flat bet until he hits the section where he knows the 10s are.
The counter is going to be slowing increasing his bets as the count rises.

Suppose you know the tens are all behind the cut card and are merely waiting to see where this slug ends up on the next shoe:
The ST is going to flat bet small or not even play.
The counter is going to be increasing his bet as the count rises, in anticipation of 10s that never come.

SO any heat the counter draws and attention the counter gets, will automatically throw heat off you -- since a lot of the time you are doing the exact opposite of what the counter is doing -- you must not be counting cards.

Mimosine

cardcounter0 said:
SO any heat the counter draws and attention the counter gets, will automatically throw heat off you -- since a lot of the time you are doing the exact opposite of what the counter is doing -- you must not be counting cards.
And it will take the pit a long time to figure out what you were doing (or they never will). If you play all day then they might be able to figure it out. A few hours and I doubt it. For the counter, they either have to rewind the tape or count along live to see if the counter is betting with the count. The shuffle tracker will rarely be betting along with the count - as so spelled out above.