Any Advice for a new player?

I'd like to try Blackjack in the Reno area, however I am a little concered about how my inexperience as a player will affect others at the table I am playing at. Any advice?:angel:

ChefJJ

bunnygirl said:

I'd like to try Blackjack in the Reno area, however I am a little concered about how my inexperience as a player will affect others at the table I am playing at. Any advice?:angel:
Sounds like first and foremost...learn basic strategy and go from there. If you are serious about it, read a book, and maybe look into learning card counting. But basic strategy is your first step. And just flat bet...don't play with bet progressions or anything like that.

good luck

PS - you'll get some more good advice from others here too

Sonny

Don't worry about the other players. Your playing will not hurt them in the long run. You are just as likely to help them as hurt them.

-Sonny-

mdw

Your play will not affect the overall outcome. Problem is most don't know that or if they do, they don't believe it. For your first few times out you may want to avoid the last seat or "3rd base". That spot can catch some abuse since it will appear you are controlling the dealer's cards which is not true. You might also avoid the first seat since everyone will be watching you as each new hand starts. Sitting in the middle will give a little more time to be ready to play your hand. If you are lucky enough to sit after someone proficient in basic strategy you can see how they play their hand vs the dealer's up card. Last, remember it is supposed to be fun. Enjoy. mark

shadroch

If you are attractive,you can stay on 2,3 all day and catch very little grief. If you tell the players you are new,you'll get more coaches than you'll know what to do with.

bunnygirl said:

Sure, just wait until I'm out there in January and I can give you private lessons! :devil:

Hey don't take me seriously- get yourself the proper Basic Strategy card for a single deck, H17 game (you can print one out from this site and take it with you to the table), play only single deck games that will allow you to double on any hand (we'll tell you which ones those are when you are ready), make sure you get rated for comps and you will be playing close to a break-even game.

GeorgeD

shadroch said:
If you are attractive,you can stay on 2,3 all day and catch very little grief. If you tell the players you are new,you'll get more coaches than you'll know what to do with.
Ain't that the truth! Was at a table last week where there was an attractive woman, somewhat drunk, talkative, funny and a bit of an airhead. She split 10's vs dealer 6 even though the guys at the table said NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!. It was a CSM, so she wasn't counting. We all just laughed and shook our heads when she won. Even her hubby was laughing, shaking his head and saying "you can;t argue with a win! Of course dealer busted, so nobody could say she "ruined the hand".

Now if I did that ...... they'd have me tarred and feathered ... dealer bust or not

PS: Yea, watch out for those well meaning "coaches", especially the ones that tell you to assume dealer has a 10 in the hole. Learn Basic strategy and play it faithfully even if you have to carry a card

Reno Dude

bunnygirl said:

Most people I see at the tables in Reno dont know how to play so I wouldnt worry about being inexperienced. You'll fit right in.

EasyRhino

Yup, if you're attractive, you can get away with murder. It would also help if you ever took up card counting or other advantage play.

The intro on rules on this site works pretty good. Go ahead and print the basic strategy chart. You'll probably flub some of the mechanics on handling the cards when you first sit at the table, but everyone does when they start, it's no big deal. You can announce that you're a newbie and that will take heat off.

Also, pix plz.

I'm trying to think of the best book to read for a non-advantage-playing person... I have a hunch it's Fred Renzey's Blackjack Bluebook II, although I haven't even read it myself.

sagefr0g

EasyRhino said:
I'm trying to think of the best book to read for a non-advantage-playing person... I have a hunch it's Fred Renzey's Blackjack Bluebook II, although I haven't even read it myself.
your hunch is correct. great book for counters and non-counters.