Backgammon Apprentice

Percy

I'm interested in learning more about this game, can anyone point me in the direction of some good books/websites/software etc?

It's probably best to assume I know absolutely nothing about the game.

Many thanks.

Sucker

Although it was written 35 years ago, the best (and arguably the only GOOD) book for the game is "Backgammon" by Paul Magriel - the "father of backgammon". The best software for a beginner is probably Snowie Pro. It's not only one of the smartest programs available, it's VERY user-friendly. You can set it up so that after every move you make, it tells you whether or not you've made the best move, and if NOT; it tells you how BAD your mistake was.

Lonesome Gambler

Magriel's book is excellent, and it's not too dense for an absolute beginner. It's hard to find a book like that—one that's suitable for someone that's never played before in their life, and that's suitable for a professional trying to improve their game. I've only briefly skimmed one of them, but I understand Bill Robertie's books are quality, and his sub-forum on 2+2 is a good read, as well.

But definitely start with learning the opening moves. A lot of expert-level books in the past have disagreed on which opening moves are best, but BG sims have come so far in the last two decades or so that there can be no more dispute, at least from a pure EV standpoint (obviously, situations where you're playing with an overly aggressive or passive opponent will warrant different opening moves, such my favorite: the 5-1 roll to move 13/8, 6/5).

Edit: here is a good link explaining the problem of opening rolls, and it gives equity calculations, as well: http://www.bkgm.com/openings.html

Then it would be helpful to learn about "counting" in BG, meaning the counting of pips and outs. You won't always need to use this, but it's useful when you don't know the correct move.

Finally, spend a lot of time practicing your cube strategy, which is one of the most crucial aspects of winning BG play. An average player with good cube play will beat an otherwise very good player with poor cube strategy in the long run. It's very similar to the concept of bet spreads in card counting.

FLASH1296

Paull Magrier handed me my autographed copy, on the day it was published, 34 years ago.

The book is good for someone who is a beginner. It is a primer and no more than that.

Recently the author was doing color commentary at a tournament in Arizona and pointed
out that his Magnum Opus is loaded with errors. Even some of the Opening Moves are incorrect.

This is not a criticism of Mr. Magriel. When he wrote his book there was no
computer simulation and there were no personal computers.
He was clearly the world's number one player, well into the early 1980's.

In the book's jacket cover, he lists himself as "X-22" He gave himself that nickname as
that was the "name" of the phantom player who won the tournament that he set up to play
against himself in order to learn how too play backgammon. He took 16 backgammon
boards and played out all rolls for the 32 invisible players, while taking notes of the play.

Anyone interested in this fascinating game will do well to P.M. me.

Well, I'm not an expert but I think I'm not that bad at all. I never read any books or articles on the Internet just tried the GNU bot to play against. It shows you the EV of every move and what the perfect move is. I'd say learning by doing. And it's funnier than reading book after book.

BrianCP

I just downloaded GNU Backgammon as well. Keep in mind that the recommend play in tough situations might not actually be the correct play, the difference in between the EV of two plays can be so minimal that how it effects the future play is more important. Also, just clicking hint and playing with tutor on doesn't teach you anything unless you understand why the move it suggested is correct. This is where understanding the various type of games you can play, the value of certain points, and other general theory of play is helpful.