Bankroll

I wanted to know if there's a general consensus on the following items:

-Total bankroll
-Trip bankroll
-Session bankroll

as a function of the player's basic wager.

By "basic" I mean whatever the player decides to bet consitently, i.e. $5, $10, $25, etc.

For example:

-Total bankroll = 1000x basic wager
-Trip bankroll = 100x basic wager
-Session bankroll = 10x basic wager

I'm hitting the tables in 2 weeks and I'm just looking into maximizing the fun and minimizing the "risk of ruin" during my short stay.

Pascual said:
I wanted to know if there's a general consensus on the following items:

-Total bankroll
-Trip bankroll
-Session bankroll
There is only a general concensus if you are using a valid card-counting strategy. zg

newyorkbear

If you are a recreational player,total BR is meaningless.
I'd suggest a minimum of 20 times your minimum bet for a session.
For a trip payroll,multiply the number of sessions you plan on playing by 20 and you'll be in the ballpark.If you want to play 6 sessions,then 6x20=120. You need 120 times the minimum bet you will be playing at.
Unlike basic strategy,theses are suggested guidelines for bankroll,not hard facts.But if you are hoping to play 6 extended sessions of $10 bets,you'd best not be relieing on a $300 BR.

Ya it all depends what you're doing, I bring an astronomically high bankroll compared to my minimum bet simply as a part of my particular play strategy. If you aren't planning on being up by the time you walk away from the table I suggest only bringing as much as you're willing to lose.

Mikeaber

newyorkbear said:
If you are a recreational player,total BR is meaningless.
I'd suggest a minimum of 20 times your minimum bet for a session.
For a trip payroll,multiply the number of sessions you plan on playing by 20 and you'll be in the ballpark.If you want to play 6 sessions,then 6x20=120. You need 120 times the minimum bet you will be playing at.
Unlike basic strategy,theses are suggested guidelines for bankroll,not hard facts.But if you are hoping to play 6 extended sessions of $10 bets,you'd best not be relieing on a $300 BR.
As a "recreational player," I have to go along with NYbear. 20x will keep you at the table for a long time with flat betting. A LONG time as long as you don't go into a nose dive and you should be able to avoid that if you set some realistic checkpoints to re-evaluate your situation.

newyorkbear

When I got serious about BJ in 2001,my total bankroll and my trip bankroll was the same.Upon my return,I opened a seperate bank account for my BJ money.After two years,my trip bankroll was less than half of that account. On my trip next week it will be less than a quarter of my account,yet I'll be taking four times what I started with in 2001. No brag,just fact.
But I've also paid all my expenses fom other sources,so while my BJ bankroll has increased from $500 to $8,000,it has not been a net increase. Were I to subtract my airfare,meals,cars and such,the profit would be much,much lower.
My goal is to slowly build the total BR to $25,000
and then give going at it full-time a try for an extended period of three months or so.