Basic Strategy for Multi-card hands

I am interested in learning more about how properly to play multi-card hands (e.g., 4 card 16 v. 10) and have read the several posts here on the subject as well as other available resources. However, on the related subject I have a very basic question whether the standard BS chart(s) (given rules variations and decks) are for the players first two cards only or for player hand totals, regardless of the composition of the player's hand.

The issue has been discussed in at least one other post on here but there was a difference of opinion and I'm interested in learning what other people think on this.

Thanks!

MangoJ

If you have a total-dependent basic strategy chart (which is the most simplest) then the number of cards doesn't matter.

composition-dependent basic strategy is most accurate, but only applies to the very first hand dealt (of a shuffled shoe) in a heads-up game. There are smaller differences to the total-dependent bs only for small shoes (single or double deck).

Once you are in your second hand (or other player playing), counting cards with index play givey you more accurate playing decisions than composition-dependent basic strategy. If you ignore counting, then composition-dependent BS is better performing than total-dependent strategy.

So instead of learning how to play 4-card 16 vs. 10, why not learn to count and use index play ?

Does this basic strategy chart (generated from the Basic Strategy Engine on this website) govern play only for player hands comprised of the first two cards dealt to the player or does "Your Hand" refer to your hand total adding the value of all of your cards beyond just the first two?

Last edited: