Biggest roller coaster ride at the table

Thunder

Yesterday when I was playing, I lost my first 8 hands in a row , then won pretty much the rest of the hands in the 6 deck shoe to actually finish ahead by like 4 units for the shoe. Anyone else seen such a ride like this before?

Preston

A couple months back at Mystic lake I sat down at a 4 deck table. I proceeded to lose EVERY hand for two shoes straight.

I was down 60 units.

I went to a double deck table and opened a can of whoop ass

and ended up leaving about 30 units up.

Or in Vegas I got down to my last stack of chips (starting with $1500) and climbed back to have a profit for the trip.

MEDITANK

Wow! Those are some pretty tough breaks! My worse streak was losing 16 hands in a row, but luckily I flat bet throughout that streak, once I won a hand, I knew the streak was over and played 3 units per hand after that and was up 30 units after 10 hands.

bluewhale

MEDITANK said:
Wow! Those are some pretty tough breaks! My worse streak was losing 16 hands in a row, but luckily I flat bet throughout that streak, once I won a hand, I knew the streak was over and played 3 units per hand after that and was up 30 units after 10 hands.
*sigh*
sometimes i wonder why i even bother. :(

Sonny

bluewhale said:
*sigh*
sometimes i wonder why i even bother. :(
You've got Bojack syndrome! :grin:

But Meditank is actually right about this one (technically speaking of course). As soon as he won that hand the losing streak was officially over. The only problem is that the very next hand could be the start of a brand new losing streak. :(

-Sonny-

MEDITANK

Sonny said:
You've got Bojack syndrome! :grin:

But Meditank is actually right about this one (technically speaking of course). As soon as he won that hand the losing streak was officially over. The only problem is that the very next hand could be the start of a brand new losing streak. :(

-Sonny-
very true Sonny, but more often than not, I have this rule where if/when I win a hand, the negative var BS is usually turned over and switched. I haven't yet experienced those horrendous losing streaks that I keep reading in here about. *knock on felt*

But I know my day is coming.:rolleyes:

Mr. T

You play the sim on this website BJ trainer and at about 400 hands per hour and in a couple of hours you can feel the winning or losing streaks or swings as you put it.
Thanks to this website I have learn my BS through many hours of practice.
My only other comment is the winners will normally talk about their win whereas the losers will retire quietly to lick their wounds.

EasyRhino

Mr. T said:
My only other comment is the winners will normally talk about their win whereas the losers will retire quietly to lick their wounds.
What about those who boast of their losses? That's my favorite.

EasyRhino said:
What about those who boast of their losses? That's my favorite.
You know, I make it a point to do that. They say problem gamblers only remember winning. By embracing the losses and bad sessions you protect yourself against becoming one of those. And yes, even the greats of advantage play like Ken Uston occasionally exhibited gambler's behavior (like steaming) when under stress.

EasyRhino

Course, there's always the fine line between acting like you're steaming, and really steaming.

The find that the losses and adverse action are what really gets the biggest response from civilian friends.

"How was Vegas?"
"I lost $1000 in five minutes, and got backed off from two joints"
"AWESOME!" *highfive*

Sonny

Automatic Monkey said:
And yes, even the greats of advantage play like Ken Uston occasionally exhibited gambler's behavior (like steaming) when under stress.
I don't mean to take away from the point you were making (because you're absolutely right), but perhaps Ken Uston was not the best example to use:

"All the time Ken worked for me he broke even. All those trips we made, he didn’t win any money. I don’t think he was dishonest. I think he spent so much time trying to put on an act that he lost his edge." - Al Francesco

-Sonny-

EasyRhino

You know, while back I had a few extra bucks, and I figured it would be a good idea for reputation purposes to sit at a BJ table short-stacked (like $30), play reckless, and bust out quickly. I ended up embarking on a kamikaze positive progression.

Bet $15 (table min), win
Bet $25, double down, win, parlay all
Bet $100, get an 11, go into wallet to double again... lost

Okay, it didn't last very long, but man, if I had won that hand, I would have been $100 away from the table max. I already had visions dancing in my head of bumping into table limit, spreading to multiple hands until they wouldn't let me spread anymore, only to eventually lose it all while playing seven spots.

It would have been glorious.

It was a bummer losing the extra cash I had to pull out of wallet for that table, but not only was it a +EV bet, but it was worth it just for the dream.

Sonny

EasyRhino said:
The find that the losses and adverse action are what really gets the biggest response from civilian friends.

"How was Vegas?"
"I lost $1000 in five minutes, and got backed off from two joints"
"AWESOME!" *highfive*
That's a good point about civilians. I’ve noticed that different people have much different reaction when I come back from a Vegas trip.

Person 1: “Did you see any shows? Where did you eat?”
Person 2: “Where did you stay? Did you check out the pool?”
Person 3: “Did you go to the Ghost Bar? Is it better than Rain?”
Person 4: “Did you see the Hoover Dam? The car museum? The chocolate museum?”
Person 5: “Did you ride any of the roller coasters? How about the Turbo Drop?”
Person 6: “Did you go to Cheetah’s like I said?”

Me: “I spent 20 hours at the tables, 16 hours in the room and ate at coffee shops.”

Everyone: “That sounds boring.”

Me: “No way. I won $1,200.” *highfives*

It seems like everyone has a different idea of what a fun time in Vegas is. I'll admit that my trips probably sound pretty boring to most people, but I think it's more exciting than any rollercoaster or club in the city. And the ladies at Cheetah's never argue when they see my cash. ;)

-Sonny-

EasyRhino

I know that I use "civilian" when talking about non-advantage players that I don't hate. For the people who are generally annoying, I break out the term "ploppy".

That's just my personal usage.

Mimosine

EasyRhino said:
I know that I use "civilian" when talking about non-advantage players that I don't hate. For the people who are generally annoying, I break out the term "ploppy".

That's just my personal usage.
that was context definition i have derived too.

civilians are usually nice to play with, they talk it up, they get excited, they play fairly well (sometimes yes/sometimes no). ploppies invoke superstition at will, blame you for mistakes, try to humiliate you for your 'bonehead' plays, and all around make playing drudgerous.

at my favorite joint, i've become somewhat of a regular and have begun to see familiar players with whom i routinely "chat it up" which does make playing a more of a social experience and makes me feel less like a calculating (and obvious) robot. i wish there was a way to table hop a bit with some of these people, because often they are big betting in neg counts and i'm big betting in positive counts - the perfect balance!