Blackjack Surrender Signal

Billy C1

There is

You can draw an imaginary straight line with either index finger (parallel to your shoulders) but most places will accept the verbal request.
I'm thinking about trying raising my hands and bowing like Obama.

BillyC1

somtum

Billy C1 said:
You can draw an imaginary straight line with either index finger (parallel to your shoulders) but most places will accept the verbal request.
BillyC1
Hmm.. so that's why everyone has been looking at me funny when I'm at the tables waving a white flag.

Last edited:

daddybo

How about a palm up waving of the hand to and fro while saying "I surrender". The dealer will usually confirm that you indeed wish to surrender before taking half of your bet.

johndoe

misterx said:
Is there a Surrender hand signal in USA?
or do you have to say "Surrender"?
It varies a lot, there is no universal signal. Usually in Vegas you'll draw the line on the table, but some places there only want a verbal signal. On the east coast they usually don't like the line signal, as it looks like "hit". Verbal only.

Personally, I like the "hands up" gesture that's becoming more popular.

StandardDeviant

rrwoods said:
Personally I would draw the line, shake my head, and clearly speak "surrender" all at the same time.
Be careful with the "draw the line" motion. Some dealers will misinterpret this and slap a card on the felt before you can get the word out of your mouth.

johndoe

StandardDeviant said:
Be careful with the "draw the line" motion. Some dealers will misinterpret this and slap a card on the felt before you can get the word out of your mouth.
All the better! You can get away with this shot, once.

Finn Dog

Any hand movement whatsoever and the dealer is apt to hit you. Best to stay motionless and just say, "I'd like to surrender that." Ask me how I know!

Best regards,

FD

StandardDeviant

Finn Dog said:
Any hand movement whatsoever and the dealer is apt to hit you. Best to stay motionless and just say, "I'd like to surrender that." Ask me how I know!

Best regards,

FD
Yes, I agree completely. Been there. Done that.

FLASH1296

I tend to use a signal that is popular in A.C. Spanish21 games.

I turn my hand over, palm up, and rapidly curl my fingers into my palm,
rapidly, twice in succession - while saying "surrender"

Dopple

Silent three step

I use a silent three step process.

1. Place entire hand in a karate chop manner slowly behind and to your left of the stack. Your palm is visible to your side and fingers are motionless.

2. The dealer will be giving you the "watcha want man" look. Lock eyes.

3. In a very deliberate fashion make one slow controlled swipe across the felt maintaining constant eye contact with the dealer. You want to act as though you are a little off-balanced and if the dealer hit your hand you might just hop of the seat and cold-cock him/her.

Dont look at the cards for a split second, avoid quick pointing motions.

It is a science.

FLASH1296

Two methods that need to be considered:

1. Carry a clean WHITE handkerchief and prepare to wave it above your head, in the classic military style.
  2. Carry a small WHITE towel and then "throw in the towel" in the classic pugilist style of "the squared circle".

Jack_Black

shadroch said:
I said "surrender" and the dealer told me he didn't speak French.
I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone cracked a joke about those surrender monkeys. coincidentally, raising both hands high up in the air is also how they salute.