Blackjack vs. Poker question for Fred Renzey.

moo321

It's just pattern recognition. I've played so much poker I can generally look at a board and know what the nuts is. I slowly ramped up to 8 tables, after about 2 years of playing fewer.

PokerJunky

moo321 said:
Most people at 2+2 think that 2-3 bb/100 is the most you can win at limit holdem. But there are a small number of players doing better than that, in the 4-6/100 range. And that's per table, not multi-tabling.

So, from a bankroll perspective, if you can win 4 bb/100 at limit, there's basically no reason to ever play NL, because you would have to win 15-20 bb/100 with the same bankroll. There may be a few people that can swing 15 bb/100 at a low NL game, but it's damn near impossible.
Moo are these stats for live or online? I put a similiar post about this in a poker forum and a couple of online pros posted that 3 ptbb/100 is considered a good player and 5 ptbb/100 is very good (for 1/2 NL, slightly lower for 2/4 NL). For a live game they mentioned that 5+ ptbb/100 is easier to obtain because the players are not as good.

moo321

PokerJunky said:
Moo are these stats for live or online? I put a similiar post about this in a poker forum and a couple of online pros posted that 3 ptbb/100 is considered a good player and 5 ptbb/100 is very good (for 1/2 NL, slightly lower for 2/4 NL). For a live game they mentioned that 5+ ptbb/100 is easier to obtain because the players are not as good.
I was talking about 4 bb/100 in limit. In Nl 8 bb/100 is quite possible, maybe even 10.

Your winrate will go up in live games, but you're probably getting half as many hands as online.

person1125

Renezy or Moo

Are there any good books out there dealing with Texas Hold'em or other poker games? I would want a book on live play not online play. I know that everybody and their brother has written a book on poker, but what ones are actually worth my money to improve my play? thanks in advance.

moo321

Supersystem, 1 and 2. You'll learn a lot by learning how to play all of the games. Arnold Snyder has a good book on tournaments.