"breaking vegas" questions

gorilla player

Eliot: In one scene (very brief) I got the impression that you had taught some of the team to count or play, then they apparently did some things you had advised against, and then came back for advice later. Was that a true read? Any details you can reveal safely?

Also, did you have any direct role with the MIT team (if you can/want to answer of course)???

I'd like to find out where the "grumpy old lady" works. She came off a bit cocky. Be nice to pay that place a visit next time I'm out there. :)

gorilla player

note...

For those that missed it, The NG website says it is airing again on Wednesday, but I believe I recall that it is in the afternoon, rather than at night...

This has aired previously, I believe...

The Mayor

I did not see the show

They told me they would send me a copy after it aired. We don't get NGC locally, so I have no idea what the show had on it.

>In one scene (very brief) I got the impression that you had taught some of the team to count or play, then they apparently did some things you had advised against, and then came back for advice later. Was that a true read?

Not in real life -- I had nothing to do with the MIT team in any way.

But yes for the character I played on TV.

>Any details you can reveal safely?

They really did win a lot of money. They made a lot of it using methods other than card counting, including shuffle-tracking ace/sequencing team. One of the MIT team is now a screen writer for CSI-NY and lives in Santa Monica, he was a consultant for the show.

>Also, did you have any direct role with the MIT team (if you can/want to answer of course)

No. Nothing.

This was just a fun opportunity that happened to come my way. The production company that was hired was local and they went looking around Santa Barbara for anyone who knew anything, and I just happened to get in their way.

--Mayor

Enjoyed your performance

Thought you did quite a good job. It is a cliche in show business that there are no small parts and your's was central to the story. It was a treat to see you acting [tell me, did your blackjack acting skills help you prepare for your roll? ;-)]

It seems the story of the MIT Blackjack team is quite compelling...A book and three cable TV networks have told it. Each time, a little more of the truth gets let out and identities are revealed. I sure more networks or even a movie will try to tell the story again. [I hope the Comedy Network tries it...can you imagine the troupe from South Park as the MIT Team with Cartman as the Big Player..KICKASS!]

The Mayor

In high school

In high school I was a drama major. I took several acting courses in college and continued taking improv after college. I am a total ham in front of the camera. Yes, these skills do help at the tables.

Glad you enjoyed it.

--Mayor

One follow up question please?

Well, you did seem at ease on camera, and I guess each school day you are on stage before a live audience of students. So I would think one in your position would have long ago mastered stagefright.

I do have a technical question though. In this production, the players were shown practicing counting down a deck. Most would flip the cards from a face down deck to a face up pile, and quite rapidly too. Indeed, I don't know if I could get my hands to move that fast, let alone count at the same time.
Is that the speed a counter must has to be successful? Or was that just some Hollywood effects to impress the audience?

Also, there was a shot of one other player using a fan technique in his count drill, moving the cards from his left to his right while counting. I know that is an easier method of doing this drill, as when I do it I can offset pairs of cards and count by twos.

For the count-down drill, I have read the benchmark standard is to count one deck in 25 seconds or less and get the count to match two cards removed at random from the deck. Is this 25 seconds standard apply to the flipping method only? Or does it also apply to the fan method? Or is there a different standard for the easier method?

Well, I guess that was more of a line a questions, rather than a single one as mentioned above. Please excuse my over asking.

Thanks again.

The Mayor

replies

>I do have a technical question though. In this production, the players were shown practicing counting down a deck. Most would flip the cards from a face down deck to a face up pile, and quite rapidly too. Indeed, I don't know if I could get my hands to move that fast, let alone count at the same time.
Is that the speed a counter must has to be successful? Or was that just some Hollywood effects to impress the audience?

Hollywood trick. We told them the count in advance and which card(s) we removed, and they just pretended to be counting.

>For the count-down drill, I have read the benchmark standard is to count one deck in 25 seconds or less and get the count to match two cards removed at random from the deck. Is this 25 seconds standard apply to the flipping method only? Or does it also apply to the fan method? Or is there a different standard for the easier method?

I think 25 seconds is the slow end of any method. You should be able to count faster than you can flip, view, fan. Practice!

--Mayor