BS Variations

ThunderWalk

I like the Basic Strategy Engine associated with this forum, but it seems there's no one reliable BS source.

It's like the trial version of CV I downloaded that has the 5s replaced with Jacks or something. When I'm testing it, it says I'm wrong when I stand on 13 vs. a dealer's 2, but that's what the BS says is the correct play. You'd think if they wanted you to purchase it, at least the demo version would be correct.

Then, there's the advice I found saying, "Hit on a pair of 4's unless the dealer shows a 5 or 6, but in Vegas, always hit"... and the one that says, "Split the 4's vs. 5/6 if you can double after the split. You should only double 4/4 vs 7 or less in a SINGLE deck game, where the dealer stays on soft 17."

My head is spinning. Is there one source I can go to for reliable Basic Strategy?

EasyRhino

The problem with the engine is that you need to run the permutation for the exact game you're working with. However, once you do, I haven't found any knocks against it.

ChefJJ

TW,

I think you see some deviations of BS based on the rules of the area. Typically, Vegas Strip rules are different from those of Downtown Vegas, Reno, Tahoe, and AC. Usually stuff like whether the house hits Soft 17, lets you double after a split, double on anything, surrender, stuff like that.

The example you stated, 4-4 v. 5,6 is good (if I remember correctly) in AC where you can double after a split and the dealer stays on Soft 17. Supposedly you'd only want to split 4's if you could double, otherwise you're going on the 8.

So, there really isn't a TRUE universal BS, but there are a couple solid ones permutated for several common sets of rules.

Good luck.

sagefr0g

ThunderWalk said:
I like the Basic Strategy Engine associated with this forum, but it seems there's no one reliable BS source.

It's like the trial version of CV I downloaded that has the 5s replaced with Jacks or something. When I'm testing it, it says I'm wrong when I stand on 13 vs. a dealer's 2, but that's what the BS says is the correct play. You'd think if they wanted you to purchase it, at least the demo version would be correct.

Then, there's the advice I found saying, "Hit on a pair of 4's unless the dealer shows a 5 or 6, but in Vegas, always hit"... and the one that says, "Split the 4's vs. 5/6 if you can double after the split. You should only double 4/4 vs 7 or less in a SINGLE deck game, where the dealer stays on soft 17."

My head is spinning. Is there one source I can go to for reliable Basic Strategy?
yes Stanford Wong's Professional Blackjack.

QFIT

ThunderWalk said:
It is correct. But it defaults to HiLo; not BS. You can change the strategy to BS.

SystemsTrader

ThunderWalk said:
Pick up a copy of Blackjack Attack, it has all the correct strategies for each game including composition dependant decks. Learn the Basic strategy for the game which you will play against the most. There are four things which change the basic strategy of a game, they are:
1. Number of decks
2. Hit or Stand on S17
3. Double or no double after split
4. Surrender

Last edited: