Card counting or Poker?

gibsonlp33stl

Wow - I used to play 4 tables back in college...hard to imagine playing 16. I guess I typically watched tv or did homework while doing 4 though...so I guess with good concentration, hoping not to get more than 6 or 7 good hands at once, it would be possible.

moo321

gibsonlp33stl said:
Wow - I used to play 4 tables back in college...hard to imagine playing 16. I guess I typically watched tv or did homework while doing 4 though...so I guess with good concentration, hoping not to get more than 6 or 7 good hands at once, it would be possible.
Takes practice. I mostly played limit, which helps. I can't imagine 16 tabling a NL tourney (which can get heads up).

MartyAce

moo321 said:
You sir, are at least one standard deviation to the right of most online pros.
One of the most important things for me in particular. I only play usually $11 and $24 45 man sngs. You can maintain an ROI over 40% on these and the competition is very soft. At the higher limits you run into so many more regulars. So for me its important to play a good quantity. So lets say I play 100 sngs a day. Throw in 27% rakeback and lets say I do average my 40% ROI.

1 Day results:
$27 rakeback
$400 profits

Now, of course I don't have constant results, but you cannot look at your results on a session by session basis, just like in blackjack. So if I play 100 tournies no matter the result you have to look at your expectation over time.

And I just saw the comment about TV or something. Can you play these many tables and make money while watching tv? of course. But you have to take it very seriously. This is how I pay my bills and how I live. I cannot afford to not be playing my best game.

Also it becomes very important to have dual monitors. Many times I will take things down to 8 tables so I can really focus on my games and the players and do some research on my opponents to have a better understanding.

I am a proficient card counter, but your margin is soo small and the variance in my opinion is greater in blackjack. Some can argue otherwise. Also bankroll requirements can be less. For example, a great rule of thumb for SNGs is to have 100 Buy-ins. So if you play $10 sngs you need $1k. For a player who is not comfortable and doesn't know 100% correct strategy then maybe 150 buyins. Compare that to if your betting say $10-$80 at some 4D game or so. You need around $8k (think thats about 2-5% RoR), plus lets say we just simplify our expection in this game and say that based on average bets we have an hourly expection of around $35 an hour or something (throwing in a semi-realistic number possibly depending on the rules). It would probably be comparable to what I play, but once again the variance is a lot higher and you can't sit at the BJ table all day like I can the computer.

Last edited:

mjbballar23

MartyAce said:
I play online poker as my sole source of income. I generally multi-table the max on Full Tilt of 16 tables playing primarily SNG's. It takes a lot of work and it can be very hard on your morale, but I still average around 45-50 hour weeks usually doing 5 hour sessions at a time.
40-45 hours a week! I envy you. well kinda...

MOOLA said:
I mean, you never hear of famous pro blackjack players.
Dude I get where your coming from, I infact play both...

But card counters arnt all over ESPN haha.. that why u have never heard of them :laugh:

moo321

MartyAce said:
One of the most important things for me in particular. I only play usually $11 and $24 45 man sngs. You can maintain an ROI over 40% on these and the competition is very soft. At the higher limits you run into so many more regulars. So for me its important to play a good quantity. So lets say I play 100 sngs a day. Throw in 27% rakeback and lets say I do average my 40% ROI.

1 Day results:
$27 rakeback
$400 profits

Now, of course I don't have constant results, but you cannot look at your results on a session by session basis, just like in blackjack. So if I play 100 tournies no matter the result you have to look at your expectation over time.

And I just saw the comment about TV or something. Can you play these many tables and make money while watching tv? of course. But you have to take it very seriously. This is how I pay my bills and how I live. I cannot afford to not be playing my best game.

Also it becomes very important to have dual monitors. Many times I will take things down to 8 tables so I can really focus on my games and the players and do some research on my opponents to have a better understanding.

I am a proficient card counter, but your margin is soo small and the variance in my opinion is greater in blackjack. Some can argue otherwise. Also bankroll requirements can be less. For example, a great rule of thumb for SNGs is to have 100 Buy-ins. So if you play $10 sngs you need $1k. For a player who is not comfortable and doesn't know 100% correct strategy then maybe 150 buyins. Compare that to if your betting say $10-$80 at some 4D game or so. You need around $8k (think thats about 2-5% RoR), plus lets say we just simplify our expection in this game and say that based on average bets we have an hourly expection of around $35 an hour or something (throwing in a semi-realistic number possibly depending on the rules). It would probably be comparable to what I play, but once again the variance is a lot higher and you can't sit at the BJ table all day like I can the computer.
Yeah, there's really no comparison between 10+ tables of poker and blackjack in terms of... well in terms of anything. So many more hands an hour, even at a small edge, adds up quickly.

Thunder

Problem I have with limit games is all the bad beats the sucky players give you. It's much harder to put people on hands.

Last edited:

PrinceDragon

Thunder said:
Problem I have with limit games is all the bad beats the sucky players give you. It's much harder to put people on hands.
IMO:

People who play LHE cuz they suck at NLHE,

People who play NLHE cuz they suck at LHE.

P.D.

callipygian

Thunder said:
So what? If you play long enough the money you make from having good hands hold up will vastly outweigh all your bad beats. You don't need to put people on hands at all. Given enough bad players calling way past when they should be calling, you generally have pot odds to call everything.

LLHE is simple like that.