Card Value Question

I was explaining the basics of card-counting to an intelligent (and non-gambling) friend of mine, and he asked a question that I didn't have a good answer for.

He asked, "Wouldn't it be mentally less-taxing to count the small cards (2-7)as -1 and the big cards (10, A) as +1?"

I've been studying and using KO Preferred for about a year now, and I know that Vancura and Fuchs suggest customizing your count to what you're comfortable with, adjusting the IRC and Key Count as necessary. If you mentally adjusted the card values and adjusted your betting (i.e. increased your wager when the deck was 'negative',) would it cause any problems?

Don't know that I want to re-learn anything, just thought I'd get your thoughts?

Mikeaber

radioguy21 said:
I was explaining the basics of card-counting to an intelligent (and non-gambling) friend of mine, and he asked a question that I didn't have a good answer for.

He asked, "Wouldn't it be mentally less-taxing to count the small cards (2-7)as -1 and the big cards (10, A) as +1?"

I've been studying and using KO Preferred for about a year now, and I know that Vancura and Fuchs suggest customizing your count to what you're comfortable with, adjusting the IRC and Key Count as necessary. If you mentally adjusted the card values and adjusted your betting (i.e. increased your wager when the deck was 'negative',) would it cause any problems?

Don't know that I want to re-learn anything, just thought I'd get your thoughts?
It's relative. Doesn't really matter. Reverse all the "signs" and you would have a fixed count of -3 in KO for your Insurance Bet, you would have a Pivot Point of -4. Your Key count would also just reverse (+4 for 6-deck, -1 for Double deck and -2 for Single deck.)

Personally, I don't see how it would make any difference unless you are just terrible uncomfortable working with negative numbers. They are just like positive numbers except for a different sign. You still increase and decrease the absolute values.

ScottH

radioguy21 said:

You could, but the count would make less sense. It makes sense that a negative count is bad, and a positive count is good for the player. But do whatever you feel is easiest.