Counting in your head..

I might try the "my-1" or M-1" next time, but I still feel there should be an easier way. The less talking in our head, the better... :rolleyes:

With this being said, I sometimes feel its easier to win going off of patterns instead of counting. As most Shoes only seem to fluctuate from -3 to +3 all the time. On a rare occasion , you'll get to a +10...but that usually requires playing for hours..

I find its better just going off the frequency of 10's & facecards showing up. Is there a known legitimate technique for just counting 10's & facecards ? I estimate 85 before the cut card in a 6 deck shoe.

If I see a lot of non-10 cards show up for 2 straight hands...I bet higher and usually win. ( even if those 2 straight hands had mostly 7,8,9's....i'd still do it)

Southpaw

mikeinjersey said:
With this being said, I sometimes feel its easier to win going off of patterns instead of counting. As most Shoes only seem to fluctuate from -3 to +3 all the time. On a rare occasion , you'll get to a +10...but that usually requires playing for hours..
Do NOT use a betting strategy based on how "hot" or "cold" the shoe has been to you. How you have been doing in the shoe is a TERRIBLE indicator of what the rest of the shoe will be like (i.e., there are MANY times where you are losing every hand--intuition might tell you that the small cards have been coming out during these hands--but the remaining decks will still be poor in 10s and As). This is strategy is for a gambler, not for a winner.

While playing CVBJ, I get TC's that are well above 10 (lvl. 2 system) on what seems to be about 1/3 to 1/2 (just an intuitive approximation) of all shoes that I do not wong out of (games are 6-8 decks and .75 pen).

Last edited:
bjcardcounter said:
If your betting unit is more than 1 - It is positive. Is nt it ;)
That is just for balanced counts I guess.

For instance: KO count, have positive EV at some negative counts.(using a certain IRC), so you could bet more than 1 unit at negative zone.

21gunsalute

mikeinjersey said:
Seriously? I don't believe I have ever seen a shoe that only fluctuated between a running count of -3 to +3. Ever! If you're talking TC that's another story altogether, but that would make your point moot as well.

It seems like counting would throw a monkey wrench into your negative progression.

Unbalanced - change the pivot

What I've done is change the pivot point on my Red 7 counting to basically eliminate all negative numbers.

In Red 7 normally for a 2-deck game you start at -4 and increase your bet at zero. I've moved the pivot to 12, so I start at 8 and when the count reaches 12, I increase my bet to 2 units. I use a direct count=unit betting ramp, so 13 it 3 units, 14 is 4, 15 is 5 and 16 is 6. I think you see the simplicity of the last digit of the count indicating the # of units to bet.

In a 6 deck game I'll change the pivot to 22 and start at 10.

The index plays are still easy for me, as i just use two sets of positive indexes, one set at '2' (units) and one set at '4'. So that's either 12 or 22 and 14 or 24.

Thunder

You may think this is weird but it works for me. When the count goes negative as in a rc of under -5 or so, I don't even say minus or negative. I just say 5, 6,7, 6, 5 etc knowing the whole time that it's in the negative column. If you have to say minus or negative to yourself each time you see a card, chances are you're not going to be able to keep up with a fast dealer.

aslan

burneyj5 said:
I start at 100 and if the count is positive I just lop off the 1.

Example: 95,96,97,98,99,0,1,2,3,4,5...
So a 95 would be -5
I do the same thing. Since I use KO, which is an unbalanced count, I begin my RC at 80 for 6-deck, which is the same as minus twenty (-20).