He's doing what I call, "truely counting the cards." He is doing what was depicted in Rain Man which, by the way, is based on a real person. In the example of hitting a 16 vs. a dealer 6, it's not unbelievable (if he trained since early childhood or if he was a "social idiot-savant" like Rain Man) that no fives have been drawn as he is partially through a six-deck shoe. And maybe many, many sixes came out already.
Thus, any balanced "system" that you might be using may actually be saying that the TC is near zero because of all the sixes that came out. However, he has information about every shoe that he plays that we couldn't even conceive of. He knows he has 16 and the dealer has 6 but he also knows there are 24 fives remaining in the 156 cards left unseen. He has to hit his because the dealer has more than twice the chances of getting one of those fives as he does. She could flip one for an '11'; she could then hit again for a sixteen or a 21; she could flip for a sixteen and hit to a 21 (which is exactly what he was hoping to do).
A similar scenario could have occurred with fours. Twos, sevens, eights and nines are of negligable value for neither the player nor the dealer. However, he keeps track of every card for every piece of information he can handle. FIVE IS ACTUALLY THE MOST VALUABLE CARD THERE IS FOR THE DEALER so it's pretty easy to imagine why he'd hit a 16 vs. 6. It's also why I use a system that recognizes fives.
To give you an idea of how powerful "true card counting" is, imagine the following. I (using Halves) can get a very small edge by flat betting six-deck shoes. They have to allow surrender, I have to always wong-out at a negative Halves TC of -0.75, I have to have perfect BS deviations from -1 to +10, I have to truncate the divisor, I have to use half deck divisors, I have to bet two boxes at all times and get this, there can never be anyone else at the table. THIS GUY COULD GET AN EDGE BY FLAT-BETTING 8D/H17 SHOES WITH OTHER PEOPLE AT THE TABLE.