Did anyone have a dealer ...

Carmine782

Hey I was playing in Atlantic City, there was 4 people playing, 10 hands completed, NOT ONE ACE was dealt from a 6 deck shoe, the dealer said "this shoe is about to get hot" no one believed him because you can imagine the first part of the shoe wasnt going to well, no one believed him except me, (I was counting) everyone stayed the min bet, i raised my bets to near the max, made a killing.

Thunder

I don't know if I had this dealer but I know first hand of at least 3 dealers in AC who can count, one of whom I worry may have exposed me.

Thunder

Thunder said:
I don't know if I had this dealer but I know first hand of at least 3 dealers in AC who can count, one of whom I worry may have exposed me.
And that surprises you?

These dealers are not counting the decks but have enough smarts and experience to notice alot of small cards coming out or few if any aces, faces.

CP

EasyRhino

Yeah, a decent number of dealers are "card watchers", although short of counting. If the count was crushingly negative, and a mess of little cards came out, the dealer might still say it's going to get hot, when it's far from it.

Back before I even had any idea of counting, one dealer was making the card-watching equivalent of an insurance decision. If she had an ace up, and there weren't many/any tens on the layout at a full table, she'd recommend everyone take insurance. Not particularly right, but more impressive in hindsight. I had no idea what she was talking about at the time.

Katweezel

MFoC

:cat:
creeping panther said:
And that surprises you?

These dealers are not counting the decks but have enough smarts and experience to notice alot of small cards coming out or few if any aces, faces.

CP
CP, This sounds like you could be referring to the Magical Flow of Cards. :)

GeorgeD

Carmine782 said:
Hey I was playing in Atlantic City, there was 4 people playing, 10 hands completed, NOT ONE ACE was dealt from a 6 deck shoe, the dealer said "this shoe is about to get hot" no one believed him because you can imagine the first part of the shoe wasnt going to well, no one believed him except me, (I was counting) everyone stayed the min bet, i raised my bets to near the max, made a killing.
It's great that you made a killing, but few aces and maybe a lot of 10's and even 9's coming out does not make for a great advantage. If it did, more counting systems would count aces differently than other high cards.

tribute

Carmine782 said:

Once in Louisiana I was having a better-than-average session while playing red. I told the dealer I had never played a black chip before and I hoped to do so if my winning streak continued. She then said, "I will let you know when to play the black." A few rounds later she looks at me, says, "Now you can play the black chip." She dealt me a hard 14, I hit and busted. Regardless, it's still nice to find a cooperating dealer once in a while.

mjbballar23

the dealer picked a random hand to tell you to bet the black chip with the hopes that you would win that random hand and then tip her because she helped you out. She was not counting but rather tip hustling.

tribute

Martin Gayle said:
Tribute,
Why did she tell you to bet your black chip? And why did you listen to her?
She is an experienced dealer, working here a long time, very friendly, likes to chat with players. I assumed she knew the count, and I was willing to
listen. I was on my last shoe before going home. I had been winning more than usual, to the extent that my green and red stacks had grown, even had a couple of blacks on the table, and I simply told her I wanted to bet a black before leaving, having never done that before. She was not hustling tips because a there was a big bettor at the table, over tipping generously.

Cardcounter

Dealers are always optimistic that the player will win because they usually make more tip money when the players win. Yes the count was probably positive at that time but I bet you when the count goes bad that the dealer probably doesn't say bet small it could be rough for awhile.
I always got that same excited feeling when I would see 4 or more 5's come out in a round sometimes 7 or 8 in two rounds and I would get a excited even though I was just dealing.

Frankie

GeorgeD said:
It's great that you made a killing, but few aces and maybe a lot of 10's and even 9's coming out does not make for a great advantage. If it did, more counting systems would count aces differently than other high cards.
Rarely I have I heard anything so idiotic, given the facts as described. Do you know what sort of advantage you'd have as a Player in the situation OP describes (knowing nothing about any card except Aces)?

Now I don't believe for one minute that this actually happened as described... 40 rounds with 4 players and no Aces? If that truly happened you'd be looking at a remaining 3.5 decks with 24 Aces! That's like playing a normal 6 deck game with 7 Aces per deck remaining. You'd make a fortune on that game. That'd be a once in a lifetime player advantage, maybe once in 10 lifetimes. I don't know what Hi/Low count that would correspond to, in terms of Advantage, but I'll be it's a Hi/Low count you rarely if ever see.

suicyco maniac

mjbballar23 said:
the dealer picked a random hand to tell you to bet the black chip with the hopes that you would win that random hand and then tip her because she helped you out. She was not counting but rather tip hustling.

Exactly