Different kind of wonging...

As i was playing the other day, a bunch of people happened to bet behind my hand. This is something usual where i play. So i thought why don't i try this in a little more sophisticated way. That is back counting and bet behind other people (strange to me) only on very high counts and as long as they play good basic strategy. Someone should say "do you trust them?" and i would answer that i minimize the risk as long as they meet the above criteria. So...

I would like some opinions on this. Thanks

moo321

It actually takes a really good TC to make up for ploppy mistakes. And it's a bit conspicious. But, it can be a viable way to spread to multiple hands in a high count.

itrack

Intimidation Factor

If surrender is allowed, look for someone that will actually use the rule. Aslo, look for people that don't like to hit 15, 16 v10 as this is fairly common. I would also try and bet on people that are only playing a small amount of money, because you will probably be able to intimidate them into making the play that you want just because you have say 200 dollars down when they only have 10 dollars on the hand. If you are only betting 50 dollars behind someone betting 10 or 15 the person probably won't even ask what you want to do.

pit15

itrack said:
If surrender is allowed, look for someone that will actually use the rule. Aslo, look for people that don't like to hit 15, 16 v10 as this is fairly common. I would also try and bet on people that are only playing a small amount of money, because you will probably be able to intimidate them into making the play that you want just because you have say 200 dollars down when they only have 10 dollars on the hand. If you are only betting 50 dollars behind someone betting 10 or 15 the person probably won't even ask what you want to do.
intimidate people into making the play you want?

You're joking right? That's SURE to backfire. If I was betting 10 bucks and someone who's being an asshole is backbetting 200 on my hand i'd tell em to **** off, and if they don't i'll hit every hand until it busts.

If someone's not agreeable and doesn't seem to want to take your advice, then just don't do it...

My advice is to start a conversation with the person, be friendly, THEN when you put out the big money on their bet they most likely will give you the decision if you want it. The asshole pressuring someone will more likely elicit a response of "it's my hand, if you don't like how i play it then **** off", not to mention attracting negative attention from the dealer and the pit. Unless the intent is to drive someone off a table, it usually pays to be nice, even though it may be tough at times.

RJT

pit15 said:
My advice is to start a conversation with the person, be friendly, THEN when you put out the big money on their bet they most likely will give you the decision if you want it. The asshole pressuring someone will more likely elicit a response of "it's my hand, if you don't like how i play it then **** off", not to mention attracting negative attention from the dealer and the pit. Unless the intent is to drive someone off a table, it usually pays to be nice, even though it may be tough at times.
I think that's really what was meant - intimidate is more of a reference to the social pressure the player feels carrying someone else's large bet. Although intimidation has its place as a tactic too.

RJT.

Last edited:

MasterofNone

Maybe I am the exception, and if so I apoligize, but if I wanted someone crowing in my ear while i was trying to enjoy myself then I would stay home with my lovely bride. Play your own game.

Sucker

The style of play that you're describing is what's known as "backlining". And if you really want to do it in sophisticated way, learn to track aces. When a ploppy gets an ace in his hand; even if he misplays it, you STILL have a very nice advantage.

I do the same thing some times. I am only playing with a small bankroll at the minute, so I only play at high counts and place small bets.

While I am "waiting for a table to open up" I count and also evaluate the other player's BS. Easiest way to do it is immediately dismiss players who make obvious mistakes, then focus on players who make good choices, and pay careful attention to people who double soft hands and split when appropriate.

caramel6

mikeS said:
I do the same thing some times. I am only playing with a small bankroll at the minute, so I only play at high counts and place small bets.

While I am "waiting for a table to open up" I count and also evaluate the other player's BS. Easiest way to do it is immediately dismiss players who make obvious mistakes, then focus on players who make good choices, and pay careful attention to people who double soft hands and split when appropriate.
I also do it . works great , if no more than 2 -3 boxes opened. Usually they make ood decisions, escept of staying on 12 against 2 or 3 , or some splittings or doublingd, but usually they cooperate.

itrack

pit15 said:
intimidate people into making the play you want?

You're joking right? That's SURE to backfire. If I was betting 10 bucks and someone who's being an asshole is backbetting 200 on my hand i'd tell em to **** off, and if they don't i'll hit every hand until it busts.

If someone's not agreeable and doesn't seem to want to take your advice, then just don't do it...

:laugh: I don't think I ever implied being an a-hole to anyone, because like you said that is probably the easiest way to kiss your money goodbye. What I did mean is maybe pick someone who you will respect your advice. I like betting on people that are clearly rookies, because it is usually pretty easy to persuade them into making certain plays, because really they have no idea what the correct play is anyways. They think that you are doing them a favour by telling them what the correct play is, and since you have a lot more money than them on the table, this helps to convince them that you do actually know what your talking about. I guess the word intimidate does seem a little aggressive now that I think about it.
On the other hand there are some players that you know aren't going to listen to anything that you say. There is one guy that I have played with on several occasions who says it is a sucker play to split aces. I wouldn't bet a dollar behind someone like this :eek:

It seems like the hardest play for me to convince someone to make is to surrender. This could just be a geographical thing though...most of the places where I play surrender is not acceptable in most people's eyes, and you will get b*tched at non-stop if you do:whip:

It's a great way to do a call-in game. Spotters can camp out and minimum bet indefinitely, gorillas can be anyone, they don't have to know anything about blackjack, just react to the caller's signal and lay their money down.

Sucker

Automatic Monkey said:
It's a great way to do a call-in game. Spotters can camp out and minimum bet indefinitely, gorillas can be anyone, they don't have to know anything about blackjack, just react to the caller's signal and lay their money down.
And; as bit of a bonus, in many of the places that allow backlining; the Gorilla doesn't even have to make DEFENSIVE splits. For example: Spotter is betting $5. Gorilla backlines the spotter for $500. Cards are dealt, spotter gets 8-8 vs. dealer's up card ten. Spotter splits the 8's, but the Gorilla is not FORCED to split. He gets to play ONE hand if he chooses, which is the FIRST hand of the split ONLY. So basically, he's turned a HORRIBLE hand of 16 into a hand with a starting card of 8, which is obviously a BIG improvement. There are a few other defensive splits that can be capitalized on also.

Sucker said:
And; as bit of a bonus, in many of the places that allow backlining; the Gorilla doesn't even have to make DEFENSIVE splits. For example: Spotter is betting $5. Gorilla backlines the spotter for $500. Cards are dealt, spotter gets 8-8 vs. dealer's up card ten. Spotter splits the 8's, but the Gorilla is not FORCED to split. He gets to play ONE hand if he chooses, which is the FIRST hand of the split ONLY. So basically, he's turned a HORRIBLE hand of 16 into a hand with a starting card of 8, which is obviously a BIG improvement. There are a few other defensive splits that can be capitalized on also.
And a whole bunch of splits the seated player makes that he wouldn't otherwise (33 vs. 10, et al.) if the ratio of the back to front bet is high enough.