Difficulties with un-learning one sys. to learn another sys.?

Does anyone ever have issues with un-learning one particular vector/system and trying to apply a new vector/system?

Wong in one of his book mentioned how he mentally switched systems just during the flight between two locales. He made it sound so easy. Then again, there's a reason he's a legendary Hall of Famer.

I've had a couple of near disasters (okay, qualified disasters) because I went back to the 'former' system in the middle of a shoe and the subsequent RC makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyone got any tips on un-learning an old system and learning a new system?

-RCS

Solo player

Roswell Crash Survivor said:
Does anyone ever have issues with un-learning one particular vector/system and trying to apply a new vector/system?

Wong in one of his book mentioned how he mentally switched systems just during the flight between two locales. He made it sound so easy. Then again, there's a reason he's a legendary Hall of Famer.

I've had a couple of near disasters (okay, qualified disasters) because I went back to the 'former' system in the middle of a shoe and the subsequent RC makes no sense whatsoever.

Anyone got any tips on un-learning an old system and learning a new system?

-RCS
Practice over and over and over...

why switch

I often advocate staying with ones current count for this reason.

Don't switch counts period.
If switching, have a very good reason
Try to switch to a similar count
Wait until you have a break from play to get rusty on old count.
Practice, practice & practice

If learning a new count takes away from play, then its harder to justify the switch.

I moved from the Basic Hi-Lo to a level II count about two months ago and the learning curve is definitely tough, unless you're Stanford Wong of course. After a while though, as long as you remain steadfast about learning it, the old one slips the mind and you will be just fine.

It's really just the simple schpeel about constant practice. I'd say if you accidentally ever start counting with the old system mid-shoe, just bail and take a little break.

paddywhack

Roswell Crash Survivor said:

-RCS
IIRC, I believe he was talking about changing indices to adjust for rules changes at the new locale, not changing counting systems.

Deathclutch

I switch between two very different counts for various reasons.

1. When I play multiple deck I like to use KISS III or some variation. I use very few indices and it's easy to remember. I like unbalanced here because my deck estimation may not be accurate with many decks.

2. When playing double deck I prefer Hi Opt II with ASC and the VIP. I use many indices with this count. I like the balanced here because I'm confident in my deck estimation on 2 decks or less.

Hope this helps with your question.

Deathclutch

QFIT said:
Most probably Victor Insurance Parameter. I did some quick sims and didn't find it useful.
I prefer it for its simplicity. There are no true counting errors or estimations. It's all based on my running count. For anyone with excellent deck estimation it probably wouldn't make a difference in the world.