Do you allow other players to place bets on your hands

Thunder

I have been at tables before where it was pretty crowded and people waiting for a seat, wanted to place bets on my hand. Do you usually allow them to? I am generally really hesitant because I'm scared they'll get mad at me if I make a deviation from basic strategy when the time requires it.

Mimosine

new years eve i spread to 2 hands and whom else but a ploppy at the table got bent out of shape and pulled back their bet. they asked to put it on top of mine, i said "no problem, but the decision on the hand is mine."

they played it, we won, they looked pissed off at me, they left and i rode out that shoe til the end playing 2 hands.

that was my first $1k in one day win.... too. quite memorable for many reasons, but i'm sure i won't forget this ploppy and they won't forget me.

there are many great ways to exploit spreading to two hands when there is one empty seat at a table and a ploppy is playing 2 hands. you spread to 2 and they freak and go to one, the count goes neutral and you go back to one.....

shadroch said:
I'd have no problem with someone betting on me, nor a problem with them getting upset.
Unless it's another AP I try to avoid it, no benefit in risking an altercation with a civilian.

But I do like it if they play the sidebet too, because to someone just glancing at the table it looks like I'm playing the sidebet and that's free cover.

Thunder

Thunder said:
I have been at tables before where it was pretty crowded and people waiting for a seat, wanted to place bets on my hand. Do you usually allow them to? I am generally really hesitant because I'm scared they'll get mad at me if I make a deviation from basic strategy when the time requires it.
Never, no way, Nada.:(

CP

RingyDingy

Personally I don't give a crap what people do in terms of betting behind me, they just have to abide by my plays, which may be good, bad or ugly in thier opinion.

the trick is to make people to NOT want to bet behind you. Just chant "oh here comes another 16 I can just feel it!, come on 16!" every so often and you'll be sure that nobody will bet behind you.

ihate17

A tricky situation

Since most gamblers are superstitious, I have been very successful by just telling these people that when someone bets on my hand I always seem to lose.

A problem can come up when someone bets real big on your hand and you land up with a negative expectation split such as 8,8 vs 9,10,Ace.

ihate17

johndoe

If the count is high I'll often invite them to back-bet me rather than take up another spot, so as not to disturb the magical flow.

Martin Gayle

ihate17 said:
Since most gamblers are superstitious, I have been very successful by just telling these people that when someone bets on my hand I always seem to lose.

A problem can come up when someone bets real big on your hand and you land up with a negative expectation split such as 8,8 vs 9,10,Ace.

ihate17
If they are betting more than you tell them, if you don't give me $XXX or I will hit this or not hit this etc. If it doesn't start a brawl it will make you money.

If someone is going to add a spot in a good count it is better to have them piggy back just to keep the big cards from falling on a neutral hand.

GeorgeD

Thunder said:
I have no problem. I just make it clear and say: "I decide on how to play the hands, OK"? Even then if I get something like 99 vs 10, I'll say "I'm going to split those, but you don't have to split too". Unfortunately their stuck with my doubles, but should understand by now it's my call.

HarryKuntz

Thunder said:
I am generally really hesitant because I'm scared they'll get mad at me if I make a deviation from basic strategy when the time requires it.
Most ploppies don't have a clue what BS is, never mind if your deviating from it or not. I wouldn't let this be a cause for concern.

Mimosine

Martin Gayle said:
If they are betting more than you tell them, if you don't give me $XXX or I will hit this or not hit this etc. If it doesn't start a brawl it will make you money.
worst idea ever... if you want to get your ass kicked in the parking lot and forever remembered by the pit and everyone else at the table then what the hell, go for it....

maybe you were joking....

Why I like having people backlining

I like it becasue sometimes the backliner may not want to do my play; if I have an edge I'll buy him out.

Another favorite is having your friend backline you for a lot more money; then they don't have to make the splits on -EV hands.

Katweezel

Relative

MR WEASALS said:
I like it becasue sometimes the backliner may not want to do my play; if I have an edge I'll buy him out.

Another favorite is having your friend backline you for a lot more money; then they don't have to make the splits on -EV hands.
Hi Mr Weasals, are we related? Do you have a certain imprint on the palm of you left hand? If so, we may have descended from the same genealogy, even from the same hutch... Welcome brother Weas. :cat:

I've had a crazy old guy place bets on my hands, but he let me double and split off of his bet. Pretty good deal eh?

Does anyone know the approximate added value of this?

Depends on how much he is betting. Not doubling loses a lot of EV though. You could be playing a +EV game if he doesnt like to double on much. Make sure you don't split his -EV splits though.

Basically, he let me do what I wanted. We each had a $10 minimum bet on my hand. When a chance for a double came up, he let me double on top of his bet as well as mine, so if I won I'd take the $60 and he'd take the $20 from his original bet. He kept encouraging me to double on 10 vs. 10 (can someone confirm that this would be the correct play in this situation?)

As I was winning, he kept handing me chips as well for me to keep. Unfortunately he was losing most of his own money so he eventually asked for it back. Too bad he went broke after 20 minutes. :(

Oh why can't I find a ploppy like this every day...

prankster

recession?

wow,they say we're in this real bad recession,and bettors are lined up so deep they gotta share spots........god bless america.

Last edited: