Do you have a game plan

Mr. T

I dont mean a betting system.
When do you stop playing, win or lose. Do you play on the table only if the other players tell you the dealer is not that strong.
You must have experienced the occasions when the dealer just wont bust. You feel your shirt is being rip off your back. You lose 5 or 10 times in a row. You double 10 against 6. you get 20 and the dealer get 21. Do you still carry on regardless or stop at some pre-determined point. If you are winning when is enough and collect up your winnings.

ihate17

None of this pertains to advantage play, it all sounds like superstition

Mr. T said:
When do you stop playing, win or lose. Do you play on the table only if the other players tell you the dealer is not that strong.
You must have experienced the occasions when the dealer just wont bust. You feel your shirt is being rip off your back. You lose 5 or 10 times in a row. You double 10 against 6. you get 20 and the dealer get 21. Do you still carry on regardless or stop at some pre-determined point. If you are winning when is enough and collect up your winnings.
You stop playing if you need to leave, if you can not find a good game or if you are tired, things like this.
I know what a weak dealer is: A dealer who makes mistakes and may reveal their hole card. I have absolutely no idea what a strong dealer is, unless you are talking about a dealer who cheats. All a dealer does is pull the next card out of the shoe and just because that card hurt you, does not make the dealer anything special.
I have lost over 20 hands in a row four times that I can recall. And yes you must still carry on unless you have lost your bankroll or you will never have a chance of being a winning counter!
If winning when is it time to leave with your winnings? That was my first answer, if you need to leave etc. Just because you are winning does not mean you will lose in the next shoe or win in the next shoe. If you have the advantage you should not stop playing just because you are winning.

ihate17

RikaKazak

blackjack doesn't mess with my head because there is a correct/incorrect play every time and it's clear cut. No amount of money bothers me as long as I was playing within my bankroll and it was +EV.

Now poker on the other hand can mess wiht my mind and cause me to need to "take a break"...but that's because it's a game of incoplete information and the "correct play" isn't always so clear...so you can doubt your skill/lose cofindence, and as you do that, you start to play worse (cause you're not playing as aggressive, and aggression is key to winning poker)

sagefr0g

Mr. T said:
i wouldn't pay attention to what the other players say about the dealer or the cards as it is most likely those other players are ploppies that haven't much of a clue as to the nature of the remaining pack advantage wise.
yeah sometimes you just can't seem to win advantage or not. but at least when you are playing at an advantage you are racking up positive expected value whether you are winning or not. that is to your advantage for future play. the current losing is but a blip on the long term events radar screen.
as long as you are playing to an advantage you can just keep playing. heh, heh you can never win enough, you'll always want more.
but the above not withstanding i believe there is a point about quiting time and playing onwards time that differs according to what kind of player you are. are you a pro that must grind out as many hands as possible in a reasonable span of time so that you can provide a roof over your head and bread and butter on the table. are you a recreational player that wants to crank out as many benjamins as possible who has relatively unlimited time to play. or perhaps you are a recreational player that wants to crank out as many benjamins as possible but who doesn't have an unlimited time to play.
the later i believe may do well to take a breather from play if and when he should be so lucky to make a substantial profit after a 'reasonable' amount of play. but the pro and the recreational advantage player who has loads of time should play on come hell or high water as long as they have the advantage and want to play more.
another point with regard to quiting when losing badly is that it may be you have reason to believe you are making some serious mistakes but are not quite sure what is going down. that would be a good time to cool it and try and determine if your play is solid enough to support an advantage.
it really doesn't matter when you call it a day excepting you should never pull out of a shoe that you know has a positive true count unless you just don't have enough money left to properly raise your bets, split and double down.

Mimosine

sagefr0g said:
you should never pull out of a shoe that you know has a positive true count unless you just don't have enough money left to properly raise your bets, split and double down.
or, if you have heat breathing down your neck...