Double-down redraw?

NDN21

I was in New Mexico recently and Santa Ana had this promotion of double-down any two cards, re-draw if you don't like the first card. They only had this promotion for 15 minutes so I figure it's either a good bet (if you know when to double and if you would double-down on any more card combinations more often than without the promotion) or it's to get the suckers to the tables.

Dealer stands on 17, double-down any two cards, double-down after splits, BJ pay 1 to 1.5, six-deck shoe, about 75% penetration were the conditions if I recall correctly.

During the promotion I did double-down more than I would have without the promotion (9 vs. dealer's 2, 12 vs. dealer's 4,3 or 2, 8 vs. dealer's 4-5-6, etc..) and did it with a positive count and in the back half of a six-deck shoe, just after three players left because they were losing. So I got the meat of the positive shoe to myself during this promotion. Some double-downs I stuck with the first card but I would say that on more than half of the double-downs I re-drew.

I made 47 $10 units in the 15 minutes of the promotion.

How good or bad is this promotion? Where can I find stats for it? Should I stay away or increase my bets when this promotion comes up? What is the strategy for it?

I know I shouldn't of played without proper knowledge but I was up $100 when the promo was announced and decided to go for it since three players just left, leaving me with half of a positive shoe. I am glad I did play but would like to know if it is a good idea or if it's for suckers.

All I can say is that if you were playing the game before the promo started, why wouldn't you keep playing once they let you redraw on double downs.

Someone else will have to help you as far as EV added and playing deviations.