doubling down question

sammy

I would appreciate it if someone could help me out, I've had a couple people tell me different things about this.
Say I'm in a basic blackjack game and I go to double down, is that double down card given to me face up or face down? And IF it's given to me face down, does it get revealed BEFORE or AFTER the dealer's hand is played out?
Finally, say IF the dealer plays out his hand FIRST, he busts and I had doubled down on a hand of 13, could I still bust as well or did I automatically win the hand because the dealer had already busted?

Thank you so much, Sammy

ColorMeUp

sammy said:
I would appreciate it if someone could help me out, I've had a couple people tell me different things about this.
Say I'm in a basic blackjack game and I go to double down, is that double down card given to me face up or face down? And IF it's given to me face down, does it get revealed BEFORE or AFTER the dealer's hand is played out?
Finally, say IF the dealer plays out his hand FIRST, he busts and I had doubled down on a hand of 13, could I still bust as well or did I automatically win the hand because the dealer had already busted?

Thank you so much, Sammy
For one, you need to study basic strategy......when would you ever double down on a hard 13 that could make you bust?

For your original question, it depends on the game and the house. Most shoe games where the cards are dealt face up, the double card is dealt face up. In pitch games, I've seen it either way. If it's dealt down, the dealer plays his hand out before your card is flipped. When the dealer goes around to pay, he flips your card to see if you've got him beat, then either pays you or takes your chips.

sagefr0g

sammy said:

Thank you so much, Sammy
thats a cool question.
if the dealer places your double down card face down then he will normally complete his hand before flipping over your face down double down card.
problem is if your hand is busted you lose even though the dealer busted also.
whats interesting is i'd bet there are a lot of dealers that wouldn't catch the fact you had busted.

best regards,
mr fr0g :D

Last edited:

sammy

doubling down

Hey ColorMeUp and SageFrog........thanks so much for the info. I'm just kinda getting started and have alot of studying to do obviously, but I love to play and finding out as much as I can. I think by big problem is dealing with the big strategy differences between basic blackjack and elimination tournament blackjack.
Thanks again for helping me out and for answering my questions.

Sammy

Last edited:

bj bob

The relatively few times when I've seen a "stiff" double in a pitch game, the dealer will call out "doubling twelve" (in your case l3). Then the pit is aware of a bust possiblity and the card is dealt face up to conclude the hand in the event of a bust.

sagefr0g

ColorMeUp said:
For one, you need to study basic strategy......when would you ever double down on a hard 13 that could make you bust?
thats what i thought at first but then i realized he could have and ace-two against say a dealer six or five. so he could double down on a 13 just not a hard 13 as you say.

best regards,

shadroch

Whenever I've seen someone double on a possible bust hand,the card is dealt face up,not face down.If you bust,dealer takes cards and mone y just as on a regular bust.

sagefr0g

bj bob said:
The man said HARD 13, not A2, and the dealer would not call it in that case.
i read it carefully as your title recommended.
and actually he said ".... a hand of 13" not a HARD 13 refering to the original poster sammy

which could be A2 .... in some joints the dealer would say you have a 3 or 13.
but you are correct sammy wouldn't bust if he doubled on a soft 13.

best regards,

Last edited:

sagefr0g

ColorMeUp said:

For your original question, it depends on the game and the house. Most shoe games where the cards are dealt face up, the double card is dealt face up. In pitch games, I've seen it either way. If it's dealt down, the dealer plays his hand out before your card is flipped. When the dealer goes around to pay, he flips your card to see if you've got him beat, then either pays you or takes your chips.
right and sometimes the player's when they double down request the double down card to be face down (some kind of voodoo thing in their minds...). when this happens a lot the dealer will sometimes just start giving all the doubled down hands a face down card.

best regards,

bj bob

Between the lines...

sammy said:
he busts and I had doubled down on a hand of 13, could I still bust as well
Guess we're really talking about the same thing, Frog. Although he didn't actually use the word HARD, the phrase above implies such or he wouldn't be worried about who busts first. And yes, you did read it correctly as worded.

sagefr0g

bj bob said:
Guess we're really talking about the same thing, Frog. Although he didn't actually use the word HARD, the phrase above implies such or he wouldn't be worried about who busts first. And yes, you did read it correctly as worded.
and i definately missed the implication you alluded to. :laugh:
i thought sammy's question was an interesting one though... interesting that the dealers willingness to put the double down card face down in a face up game opens them up to being innocently questioned on the issue of busting. of course the pit would win any argument with regards to it but the situation would be amusing.

best regards,

ColorMeUp

sagefr0g said:
i read it carefully as your title recommended.
and actually he said ".... a hand of 13" not a HARD 13 refering to the original poster sammy

which could be A2 .... in some joints the dealer would say you have a 3 or 13.
but you are correct sammy wouldn't bust if he doubled on a soft 13.

best regards,
Yes, but the original poster wrote
he busts and I had doubled down on a hand of 13, could I still bust as well
Implying a "hard" 13, since it's impossible to bust a soft 13.

ColorMeUp

sagefr0g said:
and i definately missed the implication you alluded to. :laugh:
i thought sammy's question was an interesting one though... interesting that the dealers willingness to put the double down card face down in a face up game opens them up to being innocently questioned on the issue of busting. of course the pit would win any argument with regards to it but the situation would be amusing.

best regards,
I know that in most cases they won't deal the double card face down in a face up shoe game game regardless. I like it down just for the added suspense, and sometimes I'll ask for it down in a face up game. Most of the time the dealer shakes his head no, but sometimes he'll give it down. Seems like it depends on the dealer and the house.

But the times I have seen someone double a stiff hand the dealer has always called 'doubling 12' or similar.

sagefr0g

ColorMeUp said:
I know that in most cases they won't deal the double card face down in a face up shoe game game regardless. I like it down just for the added suspense, and sometimes I'll ask for it down in a face up game. Most of the time the dealer shakes his head no, but sometimes he'll give it down. Seems like it depends on the dealer and the house.
i like Zengrifter's post regarding Shrodinger's dead alive/ cat :cat: when i think about folks wanting the double down card face down... see link below:
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showpost.php?p=20383&postcount=26
the trick is making the cat be alive and the down card a good one :joker:

ColorMeUp said:
But the times I have seen someone double a stiff hand the dealer has always called 'doubling 12' or similar.
right and i love it when they call it out real loud and smirkey and then the card turns out to be a nine ! :celebrate

best regards,