Error at WizardofOdds

SlyPooch

I have 10 against dealer's 10 with TC of +3, the Wizard recommended play is to double (by a pretty wide margin as you can see), but index says I must have count of +4 or higher to do so (I should actually just hit). Look at screenshot and note any thoughts?

Attachments

paymypush

SlyPooch said:
I have 10 against dealer's 10 with TC of +3, the Wizard recommended play is to double (by a pretty wide margin as you can see), but index says I must have count of +4 or higher to do so (I should actually just hit). Look at screenshot and note any thoughts?
I believe that would be +3 for single deck. The attachment shows a 6 deck game so it would indeed be +4.

SlyPooch said:
Quick disclaimer, indexes change with the number of decks you're using and the rules of the game.
Ok, with that out of the way:
The index for doubling 10 vs 10 is +4 with Hi-lo, according to most sources I'm aware of. It may be +3, but I suspect that's whether or not the indexes were truncated, or floored, or w/e. The same concept of how Wong says to double 8 vs 6 at +1 while Don says to do it at +2. It's because they generated their indexes slightly differently. I believe it's because Wong truncated them. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ok, off to the important stuff now:
I believe your index says to double 10 vs 10 at +7 because that's the risk-averse number to do so. You see, it becomes profitable to double 10 vs 10 against a dealer 10 at a true count of +4, but it's a super volatile play, that play in particular, so some people wait until the RA index to do so in order to mitigate risk.
It's my understanding that most index plays are close to the RA number. 10 vs 10 RA index is so much higher for Hi-Lo because that play depends so heavily on the density of Aces in the deck, which Hi-Lo doesn't track.
Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong or chime in with any additional information, thanks.
EDIT: I just realized I misread your post. I answered a question you weren' even asking lol. I thought you accidentally got your hands on the RA index numbers.

BoSox

When you have a max bet out and you have a two-card total of ten versus a ten up card the EV gain from doubling versus hitting at true counts of 4, 5, or even, 6 is rather small and adds a lot of extra volatility that many bankrolls do not need.

The remaining density of both the ten-value cards and aces are important for the above play and both are counted in the Hi-Low count.

Last edited:

SlyPooch

paymypush said:
I believe that would be +3 for single deck. The attachment shows a 6 deck game so it would indeed be +4.
So you are saying the strategy box that pops up is for a single deck game even though I am actively playing a 6 deck game?

SlyPooch

BoSox said:
When you have a max bet out and you have a two-card total of ten versus a ten up card the EV gain from doubling versus hitting at true counts of 4, 5, or even, 6 is rather small and adds a lot of extra volatility that many bankrolls do not need.

The remaining density of both the ten-value cards and aces are important for the above play and both are counted in the Hi-Low count.
So you are saying for the situation I mentioned in the screenshot I should be just hitting at + 3 but once it gets to +4 I should technically be doubling but you are saying if I want to reduce volatility I would wait until I get to + 7 in this situation before I double?

SlyPooch

So I am just looking for the rules for the illustrious 18 in 6 deck game with the rules showed in the screenshot and I have been using Wong's book professional Blackjack on page 48 table 10. Is that the right one?

DSchles

SlyPooch said:
So I am just looking for the rules for the illustrious 18 in 6 deck game with the rules showed in the screenshot and I have been using Wong's book professional Blackjack on page 48 table 10. Is that the right one?
Page 213 of BJA3 is your best source. Do you have the book?

Don

BoSox

SlyPooch said:
So you are saying for the situation I mentioned in the screenshot I should be just hitting at + 3 but once it gets to +4 I should technically be doubling but you are saying if I want to reduce volatility I would wait until I get to + 7 in this situation before I double?
Not exactly. Chapter 13 in Blackjack Attack 3rd Edition pg371, and 372 better explains this decision to either double or hit the hand based on "Certainty Equivalent, Expected Value and adjusting for risk by the percentage of the bet expressed as a fraction of the Kelly- equivalent (optimal) bankroll."

Last edited:

SlyPooch

DSchles said:
Page 213 of BJA3 is your best source. Do you have the book?

Don
I do and table 10.1 does have a handful of numbers off by 1 from the Wong chart (which I think you previously dismissed as rounding or whatnot); However my original question of 10 vs. 10 it too says +4 for the 6 deck so I am wondering why WizardofOdds says to double or do you defer to the "Certainty Equivalent, Expected Value" alluded to by BoSox?

DSchles

SlyPooch said:
I do and table 10.1 does have a handful of numbers off by 1 from the Wong chart (which I think you previously dismissed as rounding or whatnot); However my original question of 10 vs. 10 it too says +4 for the 6 deck so I am wondering why WizardofOdds says to double or do you defer to the "Certainty Equivalent, Expected Value" alluded to by BoSox?
Same reply as above, by others. The correct Hi-Lo index for doubling 10 vs. 10 is actually an "in-between" 3.5. It makes very little difference if you double at +3 or +4. Don't lose sleep over it. See here: https://www.card-counting.com/cvcxonlineviewer3.htm

Much more important is the fact that this is a very risky double at the precise strike point, and so the risk-averse index is much higher, at +7, and is the most important of all such indices. You will do better in the long run to be conservative about making this double.

Don

SlyPooch

DSchles said:
Same reply as above, by others. The correct Hi-Lo index for doubling 10 vs. 10 is actually an "in-between" 3.5. It makes very little difference if you double at +3 or +4. Don't lose sleep over it. See here: https://www.card-counting.com/cvcxonlineviewer3.htm

Much more important is the fact that this is a very risky double at the precise strike point, and so the risk-averse index is much higher, at +7, and is the most important of all such indices. You will do better in the long run to be conservative about making this double.

Don

You do realize that +7 hardly ever occurs? Also, I thought the whole point of of indices (at least simple ones like the illustrious 18) was to show what will make the most money in the long run regardless of variance/risk (or by "long run" do you mean simply mean going broke less often but making less money)? If I am wrong about this than can you point me to the page number for the 'risk averse' illustrious 18...also, the link you provided does not have the hit soft 17 rule as an option (even though it may make know difference in this case)

SlyPooch

Understand i am NOT looking for some sort of in depth analysis of backjack or to promote some book or software or find out how smart anybody is or read 100 pages on something i will never use.,,,again, in 10 vs 10 will i make more money in the long run doubling at +4 or +7..????..i do not care about variance or risk aversion or certainty equivalent, etc.

BoSox

SlyPooch said:
You do realize that +7 hardly ever occurs? Also, I thought the whole point of of indices (at least simple ones like the illustrious 18) was to show what will make the most money in the long run regardless of variance/risk (or by "long run" do you mean simply mean going broke less often but making less money)? If I am wrong about this than can you point me to the page number for the 'risk averse' illustrious 18...also, the link you provided does not have the hit soft 17 rule as an option (even though it may make know difference in this case)
The above quote is rather confusing regarding everything you wrote, including this last sentence again:

"If I am wrong about this than can you point me to the page number for the 'risk averse' illustrious 18...also, the link you provided does not have the hit soft 17 rule as an option (even though it may make know difference in this case)"

The I 18 on page 213 of Don's book is not risk-averse indices they are strike points for making deviations on the most important indices needed today. At the bottom of the page is this stated reference from Don:

" Where two indices are shown, the second is for h17."

Again when you say "the link does not have the h17 rule option (even though it may make know difference in this case)" the discussion was about a player deciding whether to double or hit a two-card total of 10 versus a ten upcard. The house rule to hit or stand on 17 is not relevant in the example and frankly, you should know this.

Last edited:

SlyPooch

Put another way, what is the player advantage & standard deviation using only the illustrious 18 vs. the risk adverse version of those numbers

DSchles

SlyPooch said:
Put another way, what is the player advantage & standard deviation using only the illustrious 18 vs. the risk adverse [averse!] version of those numbers
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to spoon-feed it to you. READ BJA3, Chapter 13, Part 2, pp. 370-377, and especially the charts on page 375. If you can't find answers there, write back.

Don

SlyPooch

I did find chart on 375....Here is another example....I have 16 vs. 10 with TC at -2 and it is telling me to stand, but in all 3 cases (Wong, BJA and "Risk Adverse") it says to to hit. How do you explain that....is Wizard wrong?

Attachments