First base and third base

I read the first base is the place where the first player is placed.
I expected the third base would be the third position but it seems it is the last position.
Why the last position at a blackjack table is called third base?

johndoe

The analogy follows the layout of a baseball diamond. First base is all the way to the right, second is in the middle, third is all the way to the left, regardless of how many seats there are.

ihate17

Some stuff does not make sense

johndoe said:
The analogy follows the layout of a baseball diamond. First base is all the way to the right, second is in the middle, third is all the way to the left, regardless of how many seats there are.

Under the category of it is what it is:
If the last card position is third base and the first card position is first base and this is based upon the layout of a baseball diamond, then homeplate would be the position of the play mid-table because first is to his right and third to his left.
If you look at the dealer as home plate and not second base, then you have a baseball layout that is completely reversed.

If we wish to be sticklers here, then first base could still be first base but third base must be renamed something like last base. Running the bases is now all right turns instead of left turns.

Basically who really gives a rates a*&

ihate17

bj bob

ihate17 said:
Under the category of it is what it is:
If the last card position is third base and the first card position is first base and this is based upon the layout of a baseball diamond, then homeplate would be the position of the play mid-table because first is to his right and third to his left.
If you look at the dealer as home plate and not second base, then you have a baseball layout that is completely reversed.

If we wish to be sticklers here, then first base could still be first base but third base must be renamed something like last base. Running the bases is now all right turns instead of left turns.

Basically who really gives a rates a*&

ihate17
OK, 17, I'll bite...Who's on first? :grin::grin: