first card 10 Question

snorky

I received this opportunity a few weeks ago where I know for a fact my first card is a 10. The TC is 3, not that it matters. How much of my bankroll do I bet. What is the formula to determine the risk I'm taking. I know there is an article by JG on the ace, but I am bad at comprehending it.

Out of intuition, table max seems plausible since it was 1/20th of my bankroll.

Last edited:

Sucker

The optimal bet in this situation is to bet 13% of your BR. This is one of the few times in BJ where it IS correct to bet full Kelly, because of the fact that you will never get a double down if your first card is a ten.

Gamblor

A cool trick to consider is if you know the first card will be a 10 or A (and maybe 9) on the first card of the deal, move to 1st base if its open. Don't let that ploppy take your ten, its rightfully yours :)

Lonesome Gambler

Sucker makes a good point--a full-Kelly bet with a first-card Ace is a pretty risky move, but a full-Kelly bet with a first-card Ten is mandatory, as long as the table max and heat considerations permit.

London Colin

Lonesome Gambler said:
Sucker makes a good point--a full-Kelly bet with a first-card Ace is a pretty risky move, but a full-Kelly bet with a first-card Ten is mandatory, as long as the table max and heat considerations permit.
What are the EVs of an ace played according to BS versus an ace played with a no-splitting, no-doubling strategy?

Is it conceivable that a full kelly bet with the latter strategy would yield more than the smaller bet you would make with the former?

Edited to add: Do we have a terminology issue here? As I understand it, full Kelly for BJ is approximated by EV/Variance, whereas for a simple, two-outcome, even-money bet it is just the EV. So if we want to bet full kelly on the ace, I guess we can divide by the variance specific to the ace, rather than the variance for a generic hand of bj.

In either case, having figured out what full kelly is, we can then choose to bet a fraction of that amount in order to reduce bankroll fluctuations and guard against the need to resize our bets below the table limits.

Does all that make sense?

Last edited: