Good but not great counting

StandardDeviant

So...I've been at this for about a year. I've gotten better, but it still doesn't flow. By "flow" I mean that state where you just see the cards and know the count. I still find it tricky to keep the count and carry on a conversation at the same time. I still have to think about it. It's work!

So I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions to take things to the next level. I know: practice, practice, practice! But does anyone have any specific insights or tips to share?

Thanks in advance,

sDeviant

Canceler

Stay out of Minnesota!

Grisly Dreams said:
Thank the gods you're 3000 miles away.
I see he edited his post to remove the really, really stupid part. I live in the Midwest; I hope that's far enough away from him!

StandardDeviant

ycming said:
Care to share the procedure of you coutning?

do you ocunt cards by card or count per initial hands per player?
On the initial deal I don't start counting until the second card is dealt for the player farthest to the dealer's left. Depending on the number of players and the speed of the dealer, I may wait until all the hands have been dealt and then do a quick table level scan. I try to minimize the time I spend looking at the cards so I look more like a gambler and less like a counter. If I can find something interesting away from the table to look at during the first part of the deal, I look away. This could be, in order of preference, a waitress, something on TV, the pitt boss, my watch, etc. If there is a song playing overhead that I like, I may sing the words or whistle along. I try to blend in and not look like I'm concentrating.

After 2 cards are dealt per hand, I tend to count card by card as players hit. This too depends on speed. If the player is fast enough, I count those cards in pairs as well. In other words, I try to match and cancel cards