Got backed off for winning too much at El Cortez

Bacchante

I was in Vegas last week playing at El Cortez and re heat I really believe it depends on who's in the pits. At one session I started at SD, the table got filled up with other players, so I went to DD and proceeded to get run over for 65 units. (I'm a red chipper btw.) I went back to SD, one other player there, and made it all back very quickly, spreading 1-8 with NO heat. (FYI the people in the pits I had never seen before.) Another day with different floor personnel they seemed to be watching much more closely. And different dealers call out checks play at different levels, some with an increase of 4 units, others not at all. I guess my point is one should just stay alert to what the floor is doing.

tensplitter said:
El Cortez just doesn't like winners no matter what game. Even a -ev game.
EC has a few of the sharpest bosses in town - they LOVE "winning losers".
Once you were ID'd as counter your play became suspect at other games like craps,
which is also believed beatable by skill. zg

I'll be going to downtown Vegas soon. I find at least decent $5 DD games at the California Club and the Fremont. Decent $25 DD at the Golden Nugget.
But my favorite is El Cortez. At the $5 tables I spread 1-4 with an occassional 5 unit bet. After a shuffle I occasionally bet 2 units as camo. I also rathole chips if I am winning.
I've never been barred. I've had PCs watching me, but I will talk it up with them and try to be like the ploppies I'm playing with.
I go with a friend who does not count. He actually gets away with deciding to sit out a few hands and then jumps back in when he feels it. Wish I could do that.

aslan

Bacchante said:
I was in Vegas last week playing at El Cortez and re heat I really believe it depends on who's in the pits. At one session I started at SD, the table got filled up with other players, so I went to DD and proceeded to get run over for 65 units. (I'm a red chipper btw.) I went back to SD, one other player there, and made it all back very quickly, spreading 1-8 with NO heat. (FYI the people in the pits I had never seen before.) Another day with different floor personnel they seemed to be watching much more closely. And different dealers call out checks play at different levels, some with an increase of 4 units, others not at all. I guess my point is one should just stay alert to what the floor is doing.
Good point. There is no hard fast rule how to play any particular store. You have to be able to react on your feet, take what leeway is given, make the best of whatever presents itself, which sometimes means pulling up and not playing.

flyingwind

Jack_Black said:
some are just sweaty A-holes, literally and figuratively. The place I hit this weekend, was sweating everybody. The girl next to me was playing like an idiot and left up quite a bit, but they were sweating her too.
I agree that there are places which give you heat no matter what. Whether you're AP or ploppy, as long as you're winning, you get heat. Even if you rathole, and it looks like you've only won $30, you get heat. It's like the pit is ordered to stare at people to see how long it takes for you to start rolling around in your chair feeling uneasy.

melbedewy

El Cortez

flyingwind said:
I agree that there are places which give you heat no matter what. Whether you're AP or ploppy, as long as you're winning, you get heat. Even if you rathole, and it looks like you've only won $30, you get heat. It's like the pit is ordered to stare at people to see how long it takes for you to start rolling around in your chair feeling uneasy.
I love El Cortez but my experience on their SD is that unless you are flat betting ANYONE consistently winning anything over $15 a hand gets sweated.

photon49 said:
. He actually gets away with deciding to sit out a few hands and then jumps back in when he feels it. Wish I could do that.
Why can't you? I'm not a counter and I understand why a counter would do it but I see people do it all the time...I do it myself all the time. Hell, I even had a newly shuffled 5 deck reshuffled because 5 aces popped up.

My fear is that they see my friend skipping hands even when the count is plus and sometimes jumping in when the count is negative. If I were to skip hands, it wouldn't take the long for the PCs to catch on with me skipping negative decks and jumping back in for favorable counts.
I'm not a big $ player. If I can make up my trip expenses, or win a few hundred, I'm happy. For me, beating the system is equal to the money I make.

tensplitter

They back off too many people so they won't remember everyone. I went there 3 times and got backed off twice by the same pit boss only after I played a while.

aslan

photon49 said:
My fear is that they see my friend skipping hands even when the count is plus and sometimes jumping in when the count is negative. If I were to skip hands, it wouldn't take the long for the PCs to catch on with me skipping negative decks and jumping back in for favorable counts.
I'm not a big $ player. If I can make up my trip expenses, or win a few hundred, I'm happy. For me, beating the system is equal to the money I make.
Why not mix it up and sometimes decline playing in neutral, near plus, counts? Plus counts are so short-lived anyway, that it would be simply bad luck if a ploppy sat out during these times.

aslan

tensplitter said:
They back off too many people so they won't remember everyone. I went there 3 times and got backed off twice by the same pit boss only after I played a while.
I'm one of those people who can stand by a cash register for ten minutes and no store employee will see me. I have often wondered whether I could reach over and open the register without anyone noticing. :cool: :laugh:

flyingwind

tensplitter said:
That sounds ridiculous. So even the same pit boss that backs you off won't remember you?

Does EC keep a record of who got backed off? Do they keep photos of people who got backed off? Do any stores keep photos?

Blue Efficacy

flyingwind said:
That sounds ridiculous. So even the same pit boss that backs you off won't remember you?

Does EC keep a record of who got backed off? Do they keep photos of people who got backed off? Do any stores keep photos?
Probably not from what I heard, they have short memories. Just don't come back on the same shift during your trip!

tensplitter

Assuming they back off any big winners, not just counters, and a pit boss backs off 4 people a shift. He's not going to remember after several months even if he backed off the same person twice. Next time I just won't play rated since I think I'm on their blacklist for being an AP in blackjack and they think I'm an AP in craps (if that's even possible).

But I was betting red in blackjack and I initially started betting only $20 in craps although I had green chips placed on the 6 and 8 when I was backed off since I pressed up my bets.

moo321

Blue Efficacy said:
Probably not from what I heard, they have short memories. Just don't come back on the same shift during your trip!
With as many people as they back off, I don't think they're keeping photos of red chippers.

aslan

moo321 said:
With as many people as they back off, I don't think they're keeping photos of red chippers.
Are you going on record as saying spending a million dollars to safeguard against a potential ten thousand dollar loss may not be in their best interest? :rolleyes::whip::laugh:

tensplitter

Even if they do keep photos of every back off, they back so many people off that it will take them hours to look through all of them. In that time I would be gone.

Homeschool

tensplitter said:
They did abort my roll but let the next shooter roll and let me keep my place bets up.
I guess I'm wondering why you kept your place bets up after they screwed you with your roll like that. Why not just ask for them back to minimize the amount those greedy SOB's would get back? :devil:

Homeschool