Great Quotations:

FLASH1296

"Counting is the religion of this generation. It is its hope and its salvation."

-- Gertrude Stein, as quoted in The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer, Siddhartha Mukherjee.

FLASH1296

"If you want to convince the world that a fish can sense your emotions, only one statistical measure will suffice: the p-value."

--Charles Seife, in The Mind-reading salmon: The true meaning of statistical significance, Scientific American, 12 August 2011

Jack_Black

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok. -Shaquille O'neal-

Money doesn't make you happy. I now have $50 million but I was just as happy when I had $48 million. -Arnold Schwarzenegger-

We're gonna turn this team around 360 degrees!!! -Jason Kidd on joining the Dallas Mavericks-

Hola Amigo! -George Bush while addressing the Italian Prime Minister-

I couldn't imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah -George W. Bush-

Last edited:

Shoofly

FLASH1296 said:
“My classical metaphor: A Turkey is fed for 1000 days—every day confirms to its statistical department that the human race cares about its welfare 'with increased statistical significance'. On the 1001st day, the turkey has a surprise.”

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/taleb08/taleb08_index.html
I love that one. My favorite on trying to educate ploppies: "Don't try to teach a pig to sing. You are wasting your time, and it annoys the pig."

Lowrider

When you're in a hole with 50 people shittin' on you, if 10 stop, it's not that much of an improvement - Lowrider

tedloc

Years ago I was playing at Harrah's Tahoe. A drunk guy is playing and he's a real ass. Gets a pair of jacks and asks the dealer if he should split. She leans in toward him and says "If you had a 10 inch dick, would you cut it in half."
It was 5 minutes before she could deal again as the table couldn't stop laughing....

Blue Efficacy

tedloc said:
Years ago I was playing at Harrah's Tahoe. A drunk guy is playing and he's a real ass. Gets a pair of jacks and asks the dealer if he should split. She leans in toward him and says "If you had a 10 inch dick, would you cut it in half."
It was 5 minutes before she could deal again as the table couldn't stop laughing....
A dealer used that line on me once. To which i said, "Yeah, but now I can enter both doors at the same time!" :laugh:

My favorite fishing buddy always says at the end of the day of fishing, "One last cast". Most of the times he catches a fish on his last cast. The problem is I have to hear him say that for hours before that happens.