had HC info and i didnt even know what to do

Midwestern

i was playing this weekend 1-on-1 against a new dealer with awkward/poor hand-eye coordination.

on one occasion, she lifted the bottom card approximately 6 inches off of the table and i definitely saw the 6 of diamonds. her upcard was a 4 of diamonds

she asked me if i saw it, i responded " see what?" and we continued to play the hand.

i realized i had some good information, but i had hard 13 and had no clue what to do.

here was my thinking.

she's got hard 10. she's going to take a card and its probably going to make her a pat hand which will cause me to lose. i should deviate from basic strategy in order to try and make a pat hand as well.

I hit my hard 13, got an A.
i tried thinking it through some more and i basically gave up because i didn't know what i was doing and a busted hand has no chance to win vs. a hand that's not busted, even against a dealer 10.

she pulled a 5 and a 3 to make 18 and she said to me " i guess you didn't see it after all"

should i have played the 4+6 as if it was a dealer face-up ten and then continued to hit my hard 14?

my questions to you all are:

1) what do you do in this situation
2) what did she mean at the end?

i know this is only a very rare thing to happen and you had all the right information. But to execute was new and never been done before.
Personally i would have hit, not saying im a pro in BJ but just bc i know the dealer CAN NOT BUST with the 1st card. So with that notion hitting the 1st time was smart, but i woulda did it again to get busted or have more solid hand.

I they offered surrender i might have even taken that, bc you were def behind and no need to risk anything whenyou are behind if you can help it.

Jus my opinion, not an expert answer.

johndoe

Clearly she realized she flashed the card. If she does this regularly (but not knowing it), the advantage is obviously very high.

In this case, the optimal play is to hit to 17.

Coyote

I would have treated it as a dealer ten showing and played my hand accordingly. But that's just me. My bet size and the count may have influenced my decision also. :juggle:

johndoe said:
Clearly she realized she flashed the card. If she does this regularly (but not knowing it), the advantage is obviously very high.

In this case, the optimal play is to hit to 17.
that is what i was thinking as well
bc when we have 10 we def have an advantage bc we will not bust on the next card. its like a freebie. :)

Machinist

The Wizard of odds has your basic HCing strategy..get yer arse over to the site and memorize it.....It's quite simple....
If you find she does this quite often.....there are a few guys on this site that would come out there and "school" ya on the finer points of this game.....:)

Machinist

Machinist said:
The Wizard of odds has your basic HCing strategy..get yer arse over to the site and memorize it.....It's quite simple....
If you find she does this quite often.....there are a few guys on this site that would come out there and "school" ya on the finer points of this game.....:)

Machinist
yea i agree i would love to find this dealer and take her for all she is worth Xp i would follow her and say im just in love with her :D :D :D haha

moo321

You were correct to hit, and to play dumb about it.

Also, you would surrender a hard 14 vs. 4-6 if surrender is available.

Last edited:
head to head this is how you process. The next card goes to you or the dealer. The totals 13 v 10:

next card :
A, 7, or 8: always hit 100% effect, lose if you stand
5 or 6: doesnt matter much either way
2, 3, or 4: stand mixed effect, favors standing to a degree
9 or T: doesnt matter lose either way

All things being equal it favors hitting but if you are side counting sevens and there are fewer of them than expected you may want to stand.