Hit or stand on soft 18?

m4rk

I'm not talking about A,7. I'm talking about A,2,5 or A,3,4 and dealer is showing 3-6. In the blackjack zone book there's a chart that says to stand on soft 18 when dealer shows 2-8. But when I was practicing on hitorstand.net I had A,2 dealer shows 4. I hit get 5, a,2,5 and I click stand. It said I was wrong and I should hit unless dealer shows 2,7,8. maybe they are different rules? blackjack zone book chart is for 6d, das, doa, rsa, s17. i can't seem to find what rules the hitorstand.net game is playing by.

Axx = A7 = Stand

If you have three or more cards or can't double down for other reasons, A7 is clearly a stand against 2-8.

For example, your expected win with A7 vs. 6 is stand=.280 and hit=.191 and double=.383. Hit is not correct in your situation.

Your practice software is wrong.

Hitorstand.net

Hitorstand.net is a great website to help you learn basic strategy. It doesn't recognize advanced basic strategy moves such as multi-card soft totals of 16 or 18. You might try the Strategy trainer on this website which is a bit better even though it also doesn't recognize multi-card situations.

Cardcounter

Here is the rule for soft 18 if you can't double you stay against 2-8 up. Hit if the dealer is showing 9-10 value card hit if the dealer is showing an ace and hits soft 17. Stay if the dealer is showing an ace and stays on soft 17.

zoomie

Cardcounter said:
Here is the rule for soft 18 [ . . . ] hit if the dealer is showing an ace and hits soft 17. Stay if the dealer is showing an ace and stays on soft 17.
Only in SD. Otherwise soft 18 v 9 or 10 or A is hit whether S17 or H17. According to the Wizard.

Last edited:
zoomie said:
Only in SD. Otherwise soft 18 v 9 or 10 or A is hit whether S17 or H17. According to the Wizard.
With multi-deck (especially with double deck) it's composition-dependent with three or more cards. Overall soft 18 vs. A with S17 is a borderline hand (with H17 it's clearly a hit, since if the dealer ends up with soft 17 he/she has a chance at overtaking your 18).