Holding 4 cards in VP

SleightOfHand

I know its just selective memory but I could almost swear that the majority of the time I hold 4 cards, the new card that I receive is the same card that I threw away (but a different suit of course). Anybody else at least feel like this happens to them?

darco77

SleightOfHand said:
I know its just selective memory but I could almost swear that the majority of the time I hold 4 cards, the new card that I receive is the same card that I threw away (but a different suit of course). Anybody else at least feel like this happens to them?
Yes, I've noticed it before, but chalk it up to selective memory. FYI, video poker voodoo author Rob Singer is supposedly conducting a study to establish that this phenomenon is not random and is deliberate. Or so someone on the VegasRex forums with the handle Rob_Singer claims.

sagefr0g

SleightOfHand said:
my selective memory is mainly in blackjack, like it seems far, far to often to just be happenstance that the very card that would give me a 21 is the card the guy next to be who is dealt to first gets, while i get a bust card or series of cards that leads to a bust or a mediocre hand.:cry::whip:

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I think in video poker that this selective memory is enhanced by the visual aspects of this occurrence. There is something visually striking about the reappearance of the same card value in the one slot you discarded which makes the hand more memorable. Since the hands go by fairly quickly, anything that emphasizes one hand over another would seem to multiply the selective memory affect of this. That's my take.

It seems to happen to me every time I draw to an open-ended straight, but I'm sure it's just confirmation bias. I do actually catch the straight once in a while (probably pretty close to the expected frequency, if I kept records).