How about GOOD dealers you've had

GeorgeD

Despite all the kvetching about BAD dealers, there's plenty of good ones. How about some GOOD experiences? I've told this story before ..

last year when I was to the left of 1st and doubled A-7. A lady at third base of the full table started ranting about me ruining the table. She lost, I won and several others won. Older somewhat motherly type dealer scolded her saying things like "it was the right play and it's his money anyway, so he can play how he wants". I thanked her and toked next round. The grousing lady continued to play muttering under her breath and give me dirty looks.

A bit later and lo and behold I get two 9's VS a dealer 9 so I split. The lady lost again and started REALLY ranting, going ballistic and saying what I expect were curse words in another language. This time dealer actually stopped play to bawl her out. She shut up, looked REALLY PO'ed and left the table after a few hands.

When I again toked the dealer for "getting rid of the the rif-raff", most of the other players at least smiled. That's a dealer deserving her tips. I look for her when I go to that joint.

EasyRhino

Well, there were the dealers that didn't narc on me when they knew I was counting, that was okay of them.

There was the dealer that over-corrected a payout mistake in my favor, she has a soft spot in my heart.

There was the giant burly lumberjack dealer at the truckstop in Sparks that noticed he had a natural AFTER paying my 3:2 on my own, looked at me, and just kind of shrugged his shoulders.

From a non-monetary standpoint, there was the cute dealer that I was chatting with for a while, and eventually when she drew to some terrible hand, she groaned in anguish. I asked her what the matter was, and she said "Sorry, normally I dummy up and deal, but I'm kind of caught up in the excitement". Aww, so cute.

I don't know what to make of this one. It was this weekend. He had an ace showing, called for insurance, slipped his hole card through the reader and said "You want insurance."

Big problem- this was a Spanish 21 table! Nobody takes insurance in Spanish 21, and I happened to have had a natural myself so I got paid already. Everybody else took insurance and of course he had his natural. Thought about what to do, and I decided to just disregard it and continue with the game plan.

21forme

Automatic Monkey said:
I don't know what to make of this one. It was this weekend. He had an ace showing, called for insurance, slipped his hole card through the reader and said "You want insurance."

Big problem- this was a Spanish 21 table! Nobody takes insurance in Spanish 21, and I happened to have had a natural myself so I got paid already. Everybody else took insurance and of course he had his natural. Thought about what to do, and I decided to just disregard it and continue with the game plan.
I had that happen to me, too, once.

Not that it really matters, as you never take ins. in SP21, but after you get paid for your 21, you still CAN take insurance. This situation came up at my table a few weeks ago.

la_dee_daa

one dealer at the start of a new shoe offered me the lucky lady side bet after he already had delt one card to me which was a Q of hearts. But the next card he gave me was an 8 of hearts unforntuatly.

:cow:

ChefJJ

I appreciate dealers (and yes, they are out there) who are friendly, have a couple ounces of personality, and don't need to be tipped to act that way. Sometimes you have to get a quick toke out there to "cheer" one up, but I do like an efficient quality dealer. :joker:

Of course (I'm digressing from blackjack at the moment), a good craps dealer books my bets before I have to call them out every time, has an overpay from time to time, and returns the dice to me how I like 'em. But that does "cost" a little here and there. ;)

good luck

Canceler

Quoting myself...

Here's one I posted long ago (June, '04) on a different board under a different name.
I should start by saying that where I play the dealers check for a blackjack by sticking the corners of the cards into a scanner.

One time on a Sunday I had $40 out there; not my max bet, but close to it. Dealer has ace up. The count indicated I should take insurance, so I did. Green light on the scanner, so there goes my insurance bet. We play the round, she flips over her hole card -- she has BJ! (The scanner failed to detect it, happens sometimes.) Well, I was stunned. Floor guy comes over, they give back the bets to people who had split or doubled. I'm looking at a loss, but the dealer nods toward me saying that I had insurance. I never would have remembered that on my own, at least not in time! She saved me $60 right there.

Well, that was her last hand before going on break, so I didn't even get to thank her. But I did track her down the following Saturday. Didn't play at her table, but did tip her $5 and thanked her for saving me a bunch of money.

Unshake

My favorite dealers are the ones that give the best penetration :grin:
I don't really care if they are friendly as long as they give good cuts haha...

mjbballar23

Unshake said:
I agree best dealers are those that give good pen, deal a fast game, get sloppy with the holecard, make player favorable mispays, dont put up with any ploppy bullshit, dont beg for tips, don't feel the need to explain the game to every new person that sits down at a table, and dont feel the need to make a pointless comment everytime they pull a 3,4,5 card 21.

Doofus

Unshake said:
There are a few dealers in the Pleasure Pit at Planet Ho' that I'd like to penetrate. Of course Mrs. Doofus would cut my you-know-what's off with a dull knife, so I just have to stick to leering. :whip:

beat320

There's three dealers at the Trop in AC that I really like a lot to the point where I'll wait to play at their table if it's crowded (obviously I'm not an AP or anything lol). The thing I like about all of them is that they have personality, make jokes, mess around, and most importantly will defend correct BS moves to the ploppys who scrutinize.

aslan

How about dealers who pay you on a push hand? Did they make a mistake, or are they soliciting a tip? I generally give back a tip when this happens, although I may wait a hand to do it.

mdlbj

aslan said:
How about dealers who pay you on a push hand? Did they make a mistake, or are they soliciting a tip? I generally give back a tip when this happens, although I may wait a hand to do it.
I start counting my chips brush off the dealers mistake. Take advantage of the dealers mistake, they will not think twice when not paying you off incorrectly. Look back at all you may have read, use this to your advantage. In the end, your there to take as much as you can.

Last edited:

aslan

mdlbj said:
I start counting my chips brush off the dealers mistake. Take advantage of the dealers mistake, they will not think twice when not paying you off incorrectly. Look back at all you may have read, use this to your advantage. In the end, your there to take as much as you can.
Do you think that dealers ever purposely give away the house's money? They're only human and many are counters themselves. It might give some counters a charge to give money away or even to do so to get tips. I'm just speculating. Mostly I've seen dealers who act like it's their money! And when they beat you, they act like it was their skill that did you in! haha They're the kind I love----------------to hate.

Kasi

I liked the one who for no apparent reason suddenly began paying any match the dealer sidebet at 12-1 instead of 3-1 if it wasn't a perfect match in SP21 for like 15 minutes.

And, no, I never matched lol.

cc218

i can't think of any one particular dealer but i always like the ones that try to make the game fun and talk a little bit(hard for counting but good for atmosphere). I much prefer to sit at a table where everybody seems to be having a good time even while losing a few hands in a row. I can't stand when I get a dealer like Lurch from the Addam's family that just deals the cards and takes the chips and doesn't even blink for 10 minutes at a time.

Mimosine

i play one joint on occasion with a few dealers whom I play with at other houses (neither of them count, one plays BS to the T).

One of them one night cut off about 14 cards on a 6D shoe for me specifically, realized how obviously bad that could be for said dealer, then cut off a respectable 28 cards or so. this dealer would do it for me every time now. I played that table til he went on break for the night. it didn't work out in my favor, but it was around 92% pen.... on an already good game with good rules, zero heat for me, and good comps for a red chipper...

when we play DD together i've clued them into correct insurance plays, and when the cards go negative i stand up, then they stand up, then they shuffle and start dealing to us again.....

TENNBEAR

aslan said:
Do you think that dealers ever purposely give away the house's money? They're only human and many are counters themselves. It might give some counters a charge to give money away or even to do so to get tips. I'm just speculating. Mostly I've seen dealers who act like it's their money! And when they beat you, they act like it was their skill that did you in! haha They're the kind I love----------------to hate.
I don't think the dealers intentionaly give away the house money, as they will ignore an overpay to a player, as opposed to calling over the pitt boss and admitting to their mistake. My favorite type of dealer is one who makes the most mistakes in my favor. I had one dealer recently pay me for blackjack but failed to pick-up the cards, I pulled my win back and to my delight she paid me again after she played her hand.

aslan

TENNBEAR said:
I don't think the dealers intentionaly give away the house money, as they will ignore an overpay to a player, as opposed to calling over the pitt boss and admitting to their mistake. My favorite type of dealer is one who makes the most mistakes in my favor. I had one dealer recently pay me for blackjack but failed to pick-up the cards, I pulled my win back and to my delight she paid me again after she played her hand.
That same thing happened to me once. The immediate instinct was to correct the dealer, but if you so much as flinch, it's a tell that the dealer did something wrong. Like you, I just let her pay me a second time. In war if the enemy leaves you lying on the ground for dead, you don't blurt out, "Hey, bud, you're making a mistake!" lol