How to bet with a replenishable bankroll?

rollem411

I play with around a 20% Trip ROR...I bring only 10 max bets. I hate having to resize because of a loss. I personally wouldn't do it unless you are going away for a whole weekend and are about to lose everything on the first day. If I experience bad flux, then so be it and I'm going back home, otherwise I hope to hit some good hands and start off winning. I would hate to lose a lot and then gain back slow.

Knox said:
Shouldn't we mention the concept of reducing your bet level if you are losing? I think that is a good idea when you are playing at a bet level and bankroll that you know has a high ROR.
No, because you shopuldn't be playing with a high ROR to start. zg

Dopple

I was thinking about this exact same thing today. Instead of a bank roll I was thinking in terms of what you would call a "life roll". Forget about if you tap out on a particular trip and bet at a level where you will be taking some pretty hard hits on the neg variances but learn to live with the down psychology that follows those streaks.

I used to play all night in Vegas and maybe make $1,000 a couple times but lose $1,000 once also. Thats 25 hours at roughly $40 per hour and I would guess that was my average bet.

If I was confident with my success history and not afraid to eat the airline ticket why not triple that number. In the past a 3k hit would be hard to swallow but I see now that getting action out on the table is the only way to really bring in the money.

That and wonging.

Dopple said:
I was thinking about this exact same thing today. Instead of a bank roll I was thinking in terms of what you would call a "life roll". Forget about if you tap out on a particular trip and bet at a level where you will be taking some pretty hard hits on the neg variances but learn to live with the down psychology that follows those streaks.
Lifetime BR concept is good - use like 1/6th Kelly, I think. zg

Kasi

zengrifter said:
Lifetime BR concept is good - use like 1/6th Kelly, I think. zg
I think that's extremely conservative with a lifetime ROR approaching zero.

Even half-kelly is less than 2% lifetime ROR I think?

Bankrolls

If you want to have a fixed betting strategy then .25 fixed Kelly for a .03% ROR is often quoted in literature. If you want to make it fifth Kelly to account for human error I would not think it is the worse thing in the world.

If you think in terms of Kelly resizing then you will have a 0% ror provided you actually reduce your bets when losing. It may be best to set your bets at anywhere from .5 to .9 Kelly to make sure you have the cushion so you are not betting over fractional Kelly.

As long as your house is paid for and you have a job no problem. 7/11 is always looking for well qualified people. They pay $9 per hour for midnight shift in my area.

Kasi

zengrifter said:
We are talking lifetime BR, not RoR. zg
Not exactly familiar with the concept of Lifetime Bankroll - you/whoever mean like a series of replenishable rolls maybe?

Or how kelly, or a fraction of it, would factor in figuring it out.

No big deal.