6 $40 about 1%
8 $80 about 1.5%
10 $120 about 2%

Aloha
The ramp looks too slow. What is the BR? zg

zengrifter said:
The ramp looks too slow. What is the BR? zg

Yes, the ramp is too slow. Its confined by:
1. the way I interpreted his statement that he didn't want to bet more than $5 is negative or neutral counts,
2. trying to hit even $20 units,
3. not allowing the bet to more than double from one step to the next.

He did not state his bankroll, just that he wanted a max bet of 80-120.

A more reasonable spread would be:

1dTC 1/2dTC Bet Advantage
<0 <0 $5 <-0.5%
0 0 $10 about -0.5%
2 1 $15 about even
4 2 $30 about 0.5%
6 3 $60 about 1%
8 4 $90 about 1.5%
10 5 $120 about 2%

This is closer to optimal, but he would need to deal with fractions of his $20 unit at several levels. He would also be betting more than $5 in a neutral count.

ThePloppyInTheAlohaShirt said:
Yes, the ramp is too slow. Its confined by:
1. the way I interpreted his statement that he didn't want to bet more than $5 is negative or neutral counts,
2. trying to hit even $20 units,
3. not allowing the bet to more than double from one step to the next.

He did not state his bankroll, just that he wanted a max bet of 80-120.

A more reasonable spread would be:

1dTC 1/2dTC Bet Advantage
<0 <0 $5 <-0.5%
0 0 $10 about -0.5%
2 1 $15 about even
4 2 $30 about 0.5%
6 3 $60 about 1%
8 4 $90 about 1.5%
10 5 $120 about 2%

This is closer to optimal, but he would need to deal with fractions of his $20 unit at several levels. He would also be betting more than $5 in a neutral count.
This looks better -

0 0 $10 about -0.5%
2 1 $20 about even
4 2 $40 about 0.5%
6 3 $80 about 1%
8 4 $80-$80 about 1.5%

Whats the BR? zg

Sounds like the full deck divisions to compute TC in Zen are for the more aggressive or well financed card player. 1/2 deck the more conservative.

So it appears from both my mathematical understanding and experience on the trainer.

The full deck divisors resulted in some astonishing wins but also some really tanked numbers. 1/2 deck divisor shoe games stayed more constant with just a small rise. No major losses or wins.

AnIrishmannot2brite said:
Sounds like the full deck divisions to compute TC in Zen are for the more aggressive or well financed card player. 1/2 deck the more conservative.

So it appears from both my mathematical understanding and experience on the trainer.

The full deck divisors resulted in some astonishing wins but also some really tanked numbers. 1/2 deck divisor shoe games stayed more constant with just a small rise. No major losses or wins.

They are just two different methods of doing the same thing. One won't lead to significantly different performance than the other.

Mr. Renzey's response to zengrifter's question in the Mentor count thread points out that your indices become coarser as you lower the TC (by dividing by 2). So, if standing on 15 vs. 9 has a full deck index of 13, and we round to 7 for a half-deck index, we lose some accuracy on that index. So there is a cost to using the 1/2 deck TC. But its small, since this is basically the same thing as rounding/grouping your indices.

Conceptually, rounding your 1/2 deck indices to the nearest integer is the same as rounding your full deck indices to the nearest even integer.
One should keep this in mind if they choose to further group indices after having rounded them (I personally don't use any further grouping).

In Mr. Renzey's response in the other thread, he refers to a 1/4 deck TC. The indices for such a TC would be only as accurate as grouping the full deck indices at integers divisible by 4 (a little less accurate than grouping at even integers).

Comparatively, I would estimate that the practice of rounding to the nearest 4 probably gives up about the same amount of accuracy as rounding hi-lo indices to the nearest even integer (a practice that most would consider acceptable).

As I've stated before, my personal opinion is that the 1/2 deck TC is really only useful for people converting from hi-lo to zen because it keeps them from having to relearn all of the indices.

Aloha

All we care about is whic method produced the better EV, which was easier. Try the 2DTC. zg

Ps - You may not understand this topic.
see - TC Question for Mentor-Fred

Last edited:
You mean divide RC by each 2 decks left in the shoe?

Yes, thats what he's suggesting. So your TC after the first hand from a 6 deck shoe would be RC/3. Your indices could be estimated by doubling the values linked to in the first message of this thread. If you get your 2-deck indices by multiplying the full-deck indices by 2, I'm not convinced you'll gain the accuracy you're looking for. The values were already rounded to integers for a full deck, and that rounding won't be undone by multiplying them by 2.

After reading some topics I have even more questions.

Originally I have sent this as a private message to zengrifter, but he advised me to post it here, because my confusion is common:

1. I have read that topic: http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=8332
At the end of the topic you wrote:
Quote:
"1/4D and 1/2D TC systems suffer compromised performance due to inaccurate betting.
1D-2D TC schemes are superior for both betting accuracy and ease of use. zg"
In the topic "how to learn ZEN Count" you advised me to use this:
Quote:
"3-8Ds round down to full decks.
1-3Ds round down to half decks
1/4-1D round down to quarter decks"
I am a little bit confused: have you changed your opinion since writing in "how to learn zen count"?
So, should I use only 1D true count conversion during whole shoe?

2. Is there any "exit strategy" for ZEN count? Is there any index that will tell me that I should to leave the table if the TC if not high enough after 1, 2 or 3 decks?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regard.

Mark

Sonny

Mark1234 said:
So, should I use only 1D true count conversion during whole shoe?
Yeah, this is a common misunderstanding. There is a difference between quarter-deck estimation and quarter-deck resolution. Most people assume they are the same thing but they are very different.

Quarter-deck resolution means that you divide your RC by the number of quarter-decks remaining instead of full decks. For example, with 2.5 decks remaining you would divide by 2.5 * 4 = 10 to get your TC. Some people use half-deck resolution instead, in which case you would divide by 2.5 * 2 = 5 to get your TC. People started using these methods because they found it easier to always divide by whole numbers instead of decimals. Let’s face it, dividing by 5 or 10 is more intuitive than dividing by 2.5. Unfortunately, as ZG mentioned, the results are not as accurate.

Quarter-deck estimation means that you still use full deck resolution but you estimate the discards to quarter-decks (or half-decks). So with 2.5 decks left you would divide by 2.5 to get your TC. This method is more accurate than quarter-deck resolution and you don’t need to convert the discards to quarter-deck increments. It may seem more difficult to divide by 2.5, but a quick shortcut is to multiply by 0.4 instead.

Mark1234 said:
2. Is there any "exit strategy" for ZEN count? Is there any index that will tell me that I should to leave the table if the TC if not high enough after 1, 2 or 3 decks?
The decision of when to leave the table (or start backcounting another) will depend on the penetration and how many other tables are available. This concept is covered in Schlesinger’s Blackjack Attack. As a rule of thumb, if the count is still negative after 2 decks in a 6D game you should think about moving on.

-Sonny-

FLASH1296

Zen Advice

I used Zen for over 20 years.
I use Hi-OPT II now, but for shoe games Zen is a better choice.

Just find a used copy of the FIRST edition (1983) of "Blackbelt in Blackjack" That edition gives you an ordinary True Count with Indices method of playing BJ. I hate the other versions.

Try http://www.half.ebay.com/ for cheap used gambling books.

FLASH1296 said:
I used Zen for over 20 years.
I use Hi-OPT II now, but for shoe games Zen is a better choice.

Just find a used copy of the FIRST edition (1983) of "Blackbelt in Blackjack" That edition gives you an ordinary True Count with Indices method of playing BJ. I hate the other versions.

Try http://www.half.ebay.com/ for cheap used gambling books.
Mark - That version is here and lends itself to the extreme-rounding that I recommend in the ZG Interview -
Complete Indices for the Zen Card Counting System for the True Count Method (That is, Count Per Deck, Rather Than The True Edge Method)

Did you understand Sonny's response to your confusion? zg

Hi.
I appologise for late answer, but I don't have constant access to the internet.
Mark - That version is here and lends itself to the extreme-rounding that I recommend in the ZG Interview -
Yeah, I learned these indeces (I rounded them).

Did you understand Sonny's response to your confusion? zg
I think that I understood. Thanks :)

One more thing: do I lost a lot of my adventaga if I round down to one deck through whole shoe insteed of using this:
1/4-1D round down to quarter decks"?

Dopple

I have not read all the replies on this post yet but one thing I find disturbing right off the bat is that if you follow the chart in Arnold Synders Zen count for soft doubling the chart will not advise you to double A4 and A5 against a dealers 3. Soft doubling has always been a joy to me and it only calls for a +4 count per page 113 of Ustons MD Blackjack which is the main reference in my studies.

On other calls they go so far as extending into the teens for play indices.

Am I missing something here?

Mark1234 said:
Hi.
I appologise for late answer, but I don't have constant access to the internet.

Yeah, I learned these indeces (I rounded them).

I think that I understood. Thanks :)

One more thing: do I lost a lot of my adventaga if I round down to one deck through whole shoe insteed of using this:
1/4-1D round down to quarter decks"?
When you get to 1.5D you will need to go to half-decks... BUT REMEMBER you are STILL dividing by whole decks. zg

Dopple said:
Am I missing something here?
Yes. What you are missing is that its a waste of time to remorize those indices and many others (most soft doubles and pairs)
because even though you do it when correct it adds virtually nothing to your EV. zg

jack.jackson

zengrifter said:
Yes. What you are missing is that its a waste of time to remorize those indices and many others (most soft doubles and pairs)
because even though you do it when correct it adds virtually nothing to your EV. zg
Thats true! Not only because the Infrequency of these hands, but also because as the TC gets higher, their not nearly as profitable as hard doubles.

Like 9 vs 7 is way more profitable at double its Index, than for example A5vs3 would be.