How to use hi-opt 1 efficiently?

snorky

I've been using hi-opt 1 quite frequently in double deck games with a side count of aces. Lately I've gotten the hang of side counting 2s. I would side count aces using the alphabet, while side counting 2s with my toes. I attempted to side counting 2s using the monthly calender, but that gave me extra syllables to wander in my head, which did indeed slower the process. Toes are much more efficient for me! Now I know this is really tedious and probably doesn't add much to my winrate (which many of you will probably mention). However in my mind (I could be very wrong), I am able to compute this through second nature and the process is very intuitive.

My question is how should I use the side count of 2s and aces to maximize the efficiency in playing, betting, and insurance?

Also, w/o a side count of 2s, how should I maximize efficiency on just side counting aces? I've read numerous sources and they all recommend different methods, which is why I am confused at this point.

What if I were to side count 7s, which I do plan to practice on very soon? Would that change anything?

I assume you are creating the BC of HILO by combining your counts and are considering swapping the 2 for the 7 as your second side count. The seven has a slightly smaller EOR for betting on average. But it has much more value than the 2 for PE. PE is very important in pitch games, more important than BC. I think it would be an improvement but that is a very educated guess. I could be wrong but I feel very good about my advice hence the very before educated. I have been tinkering with side counts for a while.

gothic

tthree said:
I do use HIOPT II
Sorry tthree, that question was supposed to have been aimed at snorky. Snorky, I also use Hi-Opt I (not yet II) and have also been wondering how it can be expanded and though eventually I'd like to move on to Hi-Opt II once I'm proficient enough, I'm more comfortable with a level one count that I won't mess up on as much. Side counts are exciting to me since I am finally more comfortable side counting aces (but just in one or two decks), so other sidecounts would be great to boost my PE on the single deck game I play. As far as our Hi-Opt educations are concerned, I think we're in good hands here :)

snorky

I use hi opt 1, simply because I have the entire hi-lo indices from -10 to +10 memorized in H17 DAS and NDAS games. Since I use hi-lo for shoe games, it doesn't require me to memorize a new set of indices.

This leads to another question on whether or not it is ok to use hi-lo indices for hi opt 1. If indeed it isn't, I have made a grave mistake my entire AP career up to this point. Then I will probably make the effort to switch upto hi opt 2, or simply stick to hi-lo in pitch games.

I also found this site, which answered a bunch of my questions.
http://wiretap.area.com/Gopher/Library/Article/Gaming/hi-opt-1.txt
I also like to know what other's opinions are of this site and whether or not it is reliable, as it appears legit.

snorky said:
I use hi opt 1, simply because I have the entire hi-lo indices from -10 to +10 memorized in H17 DAS and NDAS games. Since I use hi-lo for shoe games, it doesn't require me to memorize a new set of indices.

This leads to another question on whether or not it is ok to use hi-lo indices for hi opt 1. If indeed it isn't, I have made a grave mistake my entire AP career up to this point. Then I will probably make the effort to switch upto hi opt 2, or simply stick to hi-lo in pitch games.

I also like to know what other's opinions are of this site and whether or not it is reliable, as it appears legit.
Learn the HIOPT I soft doubling indices and doubling 11 indices. There are others to learn but those are most important. I will PM you some helpful information.

snorky said:

Using the High-Low indices with Hi-Opt I won't cost you very much. The biggest gain is from the insurance, which is the same isn't it?

There are basically two ways to use the ace sidecount. First is ace density, where you just count the aces, forget about the 2's, and adjust your bet by the number of extra aces per deck. This works well, and has an added benefit of being able to treat the aces as low cards when making an insurance decision.

The other way is to keep a second running count where A = -1 and 2 = +1. When you add this secondary count to your Hi-Opt I main count, the result is exactly a High-Low count and that's what you set your bets to. If you want to get fancy, for plays where you are splitting 10's or doubling hard 8 through hard 10, High-Low is better for the decision than Hi-Opt I so you can make these plays based on the combined count as well.

stopgambling

Do not want to start another thread ,so i put in this question.why can i learn the best way to play" the big 3 " insurance ,16 vs 10 ,15 vs as best as i can .What would be the best way to play these three . I read from wongs pro b.j. that ten -count is very good for insurance,then how would we deal with the other two ,side counting 4s and 5s????