How would this betting strategy not work

say table min is 5. every time you lose you double your bet. And everytime you win you bet the minimum. this would mean that everytime you win a hand you will end up with 5 bucks profit. Assuming you have the bankroll to cover for the long streaks of losing hands and repetitive need to continue doubling your bet. You will always come out ahead if you leave after a win. You cant lose every blackjack hand you play for the rest of your life. Or even the rest of the night. The only thing that I can see getting in the way of this is the max bet at the table.

The Chaperone

I've lost 17 hand in a row before... twice. I would need over a few million dollars to sustain that run and even then there is the possibility that I may lose 18, 19, 20 or more hands in a row. Or I might be faced with a pair of aces with $655,360 on the line and want to split. Also if I had a few million dollars I probably would not want to sit at some crappy $5 game and make $50 an hour even if I wasn't worried about potentially going broke with a stupid Martingale.

gamblingghost

Well, what is amazing to me is that at 4 in the morning you are wondering about a straight martingale and then even more amazing than that is that shortly after that you actually get a couple of answers to your question!! WOW!!

21gunsalute

Over a recent 2-day period I lost at least 15 hands in a row 3 different times. You do the math...then tell me what the upside is to such an idiotic "progression".

gamblingghost

21gunsalute said:
Over a recent 2-day period I lost at least 15 hands in a row 3 different times. You do the math...then tell me what the upside is to such an idiotic "progression".
Only because of the things you said about Spock!!

Southpaw

I split tens every time said:
say table min is 5. every time you lose you double your bet. And everytime you win you bet the minimum. this would mean that everytime you win a hand you will end up with 5 bucks profit. Assuming you have the bankroll to cover for the long streaks of losing hands and repetitive need to continue doubling your bet. You will always come out ahead if you leave after a win. You cant lose every blackjack hand you play for the rest of your life. Or even the rest of the night. The only thing that I can see getting in the way of this is the max bet at the table.
Oh my ... !! To quote someone else on the site (can't seem to find your post), "Where do you progression people keep coming from?" Has there been like a martingale-movement recently? I imagine that somewhere there must be a rally of progressionists storming the streets with signs saying "DOUBLE UP TO CATCH UP!"

And no offense to you, I split tens every time, I'm sure you know no better. The gambler's fallacy is a powerful one. In a logic class, I once learned that the tu quoque, semantic and straw-man fallacies were by and large the most deceptive ones. Au contraire!

But seriously, just go read practically any thread in the voodoo section and you'll get the idea. I particularly recommend this one: http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=20191

SP

shadroch

Canceler said:
There always is. After a while you will cease to be amazed at how often the Martingale gets reinvented. :(

Are you telling me you never thought you had invented this surefire system?
I certainly did.

gamblingghost

21gunsalute said:
Happened again tonight. Must be the curse of Spock! :eek:
Just say something bad about Dillon and you'll be losing over 20 in a row!
As for me, I hit a new high and intend to hit another new one today!! No curse here!1:p uh..... knock on wood.

aslan

gamblingghost said:
Just say something bad about Dillon and you'll be losing over 20 in a row!
As for me, I hit a new high and intend to hit another new one today!! No curse here!1:p uh..... knock on wood.
To the best of my knowledge, Marshall Dillon did not play cards. I suppose he was too busy keeping law and order on the streets of Tombstone. But if he did play blackjack, I am sure he would win every time he played by using his uncanny reasoning ability, his studied knowledge of basic strategy, his Sheriff's intuition, and his gift for always being in the right place at the right time, and doing just the right thing to make everything work out right before the end of an hour (commercials included). Now, Doc Holiday, that's a different story!

gamblingghost

aslan said:
To the best of my knowledge, Marshall Dillon did not play cards. I suppose he was too busy keeping law and order on the streets of Tombstone. But if he did play blackjack, I am sure he would win every time he played by using his uncanny reasoning ability, his studied knowledge of basic strategy, his Sheriff's intuition, and his gift for always being in the right place at the right time, and doing just the right thing to make everything work out right before the end of an hour (commercials included). Now, Doc Holiday, that's a different story!
Wow, you sure don't want the curse of Dillon do you!?:laugh: Please note: it was the streets of Dodge. He was a Federal Marshall.

aslan

gamblingghost said:
Wow, you sure don't want the curse of Dillon do you!?:laugh: Please note: it was the streets of Dodge. He was a Federal Marshall.
Dang!!! My wife even confirmed it was Tombstone!! Can't trust anyone anymore!! Of course it was Dodge. Wyatt Earp would not have even made it to the history books if Dillon had been in Tombstone.

gamblingghost

aslan said:
Dang!!! My wife even confirmed it was Tombstone!! Can't trust anyone anymore!! Of course it was Dodge. Wyatt Earp would not have even made it to the history books if Dillon had been in Tombstone.
If Dillon thought you might cause him trouble he would just immediately throw you out of town. He was the most no nonsense, no mencing words, and if you pointed a gun at him (or started to) he wouldn't think, he would just shoot you down. However, my girlfriend and I have concluded we liked Chester better than Festus.

aslan

gamblingghost said:
If Dillon thought you might cause him trouble he would just immediately throw you out of town. He was the most no nonsense, no mencing words, and if you pointed a gun at him (or started to) he wouldn't think, he would just shoot you down. However, my girlfriend and I have concluded we liked Chester better than Festus.
Of course! Chester was the ORIGINAL! It's hard to rewrite something better than the original (ex: Star Trek vs. Next Generation). And Dennis Weaver was quite an actor, no doubt about it.

gamblingghost

aslan said:
Of course! Chester was the ORIGINAL! It's hard to rewrite something better than the original (ex: Star Trek vs. Next Generation). And Dennis Weaver was quite an actor, no doubt about it.
I concur. Chester also was a nice guy. Where as Ken Curtis did Festus as a
crude 'banty rooster'. Chester would call Matt: Mr. Dillon. Festus would call him: Matt Yew. They all played checkers and usually against Doc. Doc could easily beat Festus. But Chester loved watching Matt beat Doc.

Canceler

shadroch said:
Are you telling me you never thought you had invented this surefire system?
I certainly did.
I suppose I might have if I had been a little more creative. :laugh::joker:
But the first time I heard of it was while reading about why it wouldn't work.