If you use hi-lo, which version is it?

21forme

For you guys who use hi-lo, which version do you use (how many index plays, betting strategy, etc.) and where is it documented?

Do you think Arnold Snyder's hi-lo Lite, as written up in his Blackbelt in Blackjack, is just as good as the full version?

Claza

21forme said:
For you guys who use hi-lo, which version do you use (how many index plays, betting strategy, etc.) and where is it documented?
I use High-Low with the Illustrious 18 (kind of).

The sacrifices in EV I am making for the sake of simplicity:
  • My indexes are grouped together.
  • I estimate the discards to the nearest deck.
  • I avoid division altogether when in negative territory, I just bet small or not at all.
  • When I must divide, I don't go into decimals, I just truncate the results (Example 14/3=4, not 4.66 or 5).
  • My 6 deck bet spread is 1-10, I start increasing the bet after True Count reaches 2.

Do you think Arnold Snyder's hi-lo Lite, as written up in his Blackbelt in Blackjack, is just as good as the full version?
Arnold Snyder certainly thinks it is stronger than the traditional version, on page 70 of Blackbelt in Blackjack. It isn't as good as the full version that incorporates all the indexes, but not many of us have the mental capacity for that anyway.

I think the "Lite" version is still too complicated because it uses the "True Edge" running count conversion, which is still too division-heavy for my liking. I figure I'll try to preserve the 4 brain cells that I have left for as long as I can, instead of killing them off with that kind of division.