increasing max bet?

kewljason said:
First of all, I apoligize to those of you who read multiple boards. I posted this question on another board as well as I really would like as much imput from people at this level as possible.

Sometime in the next few months my bankroll with have grown to the point that I feel comfotable increasing my Max bet. I currently play a $25 unit, spreading 1-12 to a max bet of $300 (or 2 hands of $200 if poss), but for the purposes of this thread let's concentrate on a single hand max bet. I want to increase the max bet to $500. Here are the two senarios I am considering:

1.) continue playing $25 unit, but increasing spread to 1-20, max bet $500.

2.) play a $50 unit, spreading 1-10, max bet $500.
You did not make it clear what your style of play is.

Can I assume its a wong approach and not play all?

If so, I have no problem with the 1-10 $50u. (or 50- 2x350)

If its a play all with occasional exit, definitely use the 1-20 $25u approach. Alternately,
since you mostly opt to the two-hand max bet, I would tend towards a spread of $25 - 2x350

kewljason

zengrifter said:
You did not make it clear what your style of play is.

Can I assume its a wong approach and not play all?

If so, I have no problem with the 1-10 $50u. (or 50- 2x350)

If its a play all with occasional exit, definitely use the 1-20 $25u approach. Alternately,
since you mostly opt to the two-hand max bet, I would tend towards a spread of $25 - 2x350
I guess I should have mentioned my style of play, ZG. I play off the top of a new shoe and wong out at TC of -1. I was very curious to know thoughts on whether a $50-$500 (1-10) spread drew less attention than a $25-$500 (1-20) spread. The consensus here seems to be not really. In both cases the spread is viewed as light green to stack of black and will be viewed about the same. That being the case, I have decided to keep my min bet at $25, but increase my max bet up to $400 for a single hand or 2x$300, if I spread to 2 hands. This would be an increase from my current levels but still remain below the $500 threashold, that in many cases seems to draw such addition scrutiny. Of course these are just my general generic guidelines. I will evaluate each situation and can adjust from there. It is my hope that playing below this $500 threshold combined with my hit and run, short session style and a fairly large rotation of games will allow me stay in the game and achieve some longevity and not burn out vegas in my first couple months.

One aspect from this thread that I found very interesting was the difference in opinions on spreading to 2 hands, especially in the PM's and emails from the "other" board that I received. While sims show this method gets more money on the table with lower variance, a few players that have a great deal of experience playing at the black level for a long time feel spreading to 2 hand draws immediate attention. Maybe even more attention than a larger spread. Attention that outweighs the benifits.

Last edited: