Iowa court reverses cheating conviction

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
(Dead link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-ia-iowablackjackruli,0,1309835.story)

A player was apparently adding money to his bet after seeing his cards ("capping"), but the law as written apparently prohibits collecting ""claims, collects or takes an amount of money or thing of greater value than the amount won.""

Though the story holds no details, it seems that the appeals court reasoned that since the chips were in the circle and the hand won, that this legal requirement for a crime was not met.

What a lame loophole, and one I hope is quickly addressed in the law.

kewljason

I have pulled out my map, trying to find just where Iowa is so I can book my flight there. :laugh: Just kidding. It sounds like they just charged him incorrectly. A mistake they won't make again. And I'm sure they will change the wording so as to make it more accurate.

21gunsalute

I'd like to know how much money we're talking about here. It must have been a considerable amount and blatantly obvious to actually charge him with a crime rather than just give him the boot.

moo321

21gunsalute said:
I'd like to know how much money we're talking about here. It must have been a considerable amount and blatantly obvious to actually charge him with a crime rather than just give him the boot.
If you're capping, they'll usually nail your ass. I've seen people arrested for it.

Sonny

Here's a link to a PDF of the court ruling:

(Dead link: http://www.radioiowa.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Gamblig-ruling.pdf)

-Sonny-

bjcounter

kewljason said:
I have pulled out my map, trying to find just where Iowa is so I can book my flight there. :laugh: Just kidding. It sounds like they just charged him incorrectly. A mistake they won't make again. And I'm sure they will change the wording so as to make it more accurate.
That would be at riverside.