Irc?

ChefJJ

FUHGEDABOUDIT said:
What is the literal meaning of and the practical application of the term IRC as it relates to card counting? Thank you.
As a user of the KO counting system, it is the "Initial Running Count". Basically, it's where you start counting from.

good luck

Dyepaintball12

Well, I use the simple Red 7 count and IRC is very important.

Basically, because you are not estimating decks left or finding out the true count, you use the IRC to find your advantage.

So, you need to start at a negative count to make it a more accurate figure of your advantage.

The following is the Red 7 system for starting your IRC.

1d= Start at -2
2d= -4
3d= -6
4d= -8
5d= -10
6d= -12
7d= -14
8d= -16

Well, at least its something like that and you can get the picture.

Then you know you have an advantage when you hit 0.

k_c

FUHGEDABOUDIT said:
What is the literal meaning of and the practical application of the term IRC as it relates to card counting? Thank you.
To me IRC means initial running count.

In my opinion, there are 2 types of IRCs: natural and artificial. Look at Hi-Lo and KO to see the difference.
Code:
Hi-Lo 
(Initial number of 2-6)=20*decks
(Initial number of 10-A)=20*decks
Natural IRC=(value of +cards)-(value of -cards)=(20*decks)-(20-decks)=0 

KO
(Initial number of 2-7)=24*decks
(Initial number of 10-A)=20*decks
Natural IRC=(value of +cards)-(value of -cards)=(20*decks)-(24-decks)=-4*decks
If you use the natural IRC, then after all cards are dealt current running count will equal 0. If done this way any counting system can be true counted.

An artificial IRC means setting the IRC to some value not equal to the natural IRC. In that case after all the cards are dealt, current running count will equal the value chosen as the artificial IRC. In the case of KO many choose to use an artificial IRC, I guess because they want to avoid negative numbers as much as possible. In the case of Hi-Lo everyone uses the natural IRC=0, but an artificial IRC other than 0 could be chosen.

In my opinion, choosing an IRC other than the natural IRC is what makes a counting system unbalanced.

k_c