is hi-lo effective in single and doubledeck games?

21forme

ooter said:
That's exactly what I do. Hi-lo, ace count, indexes (indices?), and a 1-2x4 spread on DD.
How do you incorporate the Ace sidecount into your play and betting decisions with HiLo?

BTW, I have been using "regular" HiLo for DD and it is far from weak. It may give up a little EV compared with a L2 count, but as has been discussed many times, being able to play fatigue-free and error-free for long periods of time probably makes up for the advantage of a higher level count.

FLASH1296

I beg to differ.

In shoe games, Hi-Lo is certainly a good count.

BUT in DD games, you do NOT lose a little E.V.

You lose a lot of E.V.

I refer interested parties to the comparison tables in Blackjack Attack, 3rd ed.

Decide for yourself.

21forme said:
How do you incorporate the Ace sidecount into your play and betting decisions with HiLo?

BTW, I have been using "regular" HiLo for DD and it is far from weak. It may give up a little EV compared with a L2 count, but as has been discussed many times, being able to play fatigue-free and error-free for long periods of time probably makes up for the advantage of a higher level count.
I use the regular hi-lo RC (with 10s and aces both counted as -1) to determine my bet just like you normally would. When I make index plays (say 16v10) I use the hi-lo RC without counting aces as -1. Not sure if there is more you can do with ace count. That's all I do.

FLASH1296

on Side-Counting Aces ...

Side-Counted Aces (Surplus/Deficit by quarter-decks) is used to adjust your betting as well as many plays where Aces are highly significant for you OR the dealer.

Think for a moment about your action when doubling a total of ten after > ½ of the cards have been played and NO aces remain OR all Aces are unplayed. Ditto for many other splits and doubles. It is also valuable for some ordinary Hit/Stand decisions. e.g. The dealer shows a 6 in a S17 game and you are pondering the play of your stiff hand. You are about to double your TEN against a dealer 9. The T.C. Indicates that it is close. If there are deficit Aces you gladly double. If there are surplus Aces, you just hit.

Side-Counted Aces are useful for radically improving your Insurance decisions. Does that need an explanation ? Think about it.

This type of radially improved playing efficiency is what makes Hi-Opt II the ‘Gold-Standard’ for “pitch games”

BUT I suggest reading that old standby “The World’s Greatest Blackjack Book” which extolled the virtues of Hi-Opt I,
which has index tables for adjusting the simple Level One count for numerous side-counts.

For those really interested in learning how to play a pitch game with greater accuracy, drop me a P.M.

prankster

when the count is high bet a bunch. when the count is low bet a little,or leave the table. not so complicated.:joker::joker::joker::joker::joker:

SleightOfHand

FLASH1296 said:
The dealer shows a 6 in a S17 game and you are pondering the play of your stiff hand. You are about to double your TEN against a dealer 9. The T.C. Indicates that it is close. If there are deficit Aces you gladly double. If there are surplus Aces, you just hit.
I usually don't care about this kind of stuff, as if the sim verifies this is true, I do not really need much more, however, I am wondering why surplus aces merits a hit instead of a double in the 10v9 situation. It cannot give the dealer a soft hand, and an ace would help you just as much as it helps the dealer. Perhaps in addition with the quantity of 10s, it will create more pushes rather than wins?

SleightOfHand said:
I usually don't care about this kind of stuff, as if the sim verifies this is true, I do not really need much more, however, I am wondering why surplus aces merits a hit instead of a double in the 10v9 situation. It cannot give the dealer a soft hand, and an ace would help you just as much as it helps the dealer. Perhaps in addition with the quantity of 10s, it will create more pushes rather than wins?
I was wondering about that too. Now if it were 11v10, or even 11v9, then I can see how that makes sense.

FLASH1296

"I am wondering why surplus aces merits a hit instead of a double in the 10v9 situation. It cannot give the dealer a soft hand, and an ace would help you just as much as it helps the dealer. Perhaps in addition with the quantity of 10s, it will create more pushes rather than wins?"

Imagine that you are in a DD game and there are 8 ACES remaining to be played with only ¼ deck remaining.

Of the 13 cards, 8 of them are Aces. What happens if both you and the dealer get an Ace ? You win. You don't push.

More realistically, for the situation of 10 vs. 9, I simply specified that it was a close decision, a fairly low count that means.

The T.C. when adjusted for the extra Aces makes the T.C. positive and an easy double.

moo321

prankster said:
when the count is high bet a bunch. when the count is low bet a little,or leave the table. not so complicated.:joker::joker::joker::joker::joker:
Yep. There isn't THAT much difference between any given count for any given game, and averaged across all games, it becomes even less important.