John L. Smith On Gambler's Book Club

Jan. 03, 2007
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

JOHN L. SMITH: Bookstore owner would go all in if somebody deals him the perfect hand

Picture Woody Allen's cousin finally selling his business and taking a Caribbean cruise.

He books his passage, locates a chaise lounge and applies copious amounts of No. 50 sunscreen. Sure, he still worries too much about getting skin cancer. Will the salt air irritate his asthma? Will the moisture make him chafe? Time will tell.Advertisement

Only a good woman, or a playfully bad one, will save our Caribbean cruiser from himself. And then, over at an adjacent chaise lounge, slathered in sunscreen, her nose into a copy of Thorpe's classic "Beat the Dealer" ...

Alas, he's daydreaming again.

Only a minor detail prevents him from taking the plunge of a lifetime: He still has to find a buyer for his gambling bookstore. Until then, he stays hunched over his desk like a character from a story co-authored by Dickens and Runyon. He occasionally reaches into a drawer and removes a brochure with the picture of a sandy beach and palm trees at sunset.

...more - http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Jan-03-Wed-2007/news/11750633.html (Archive copy)

shadroch

Thats the one just off Charleston by Maryland Parkway?
Nice bunch of workers there,the few times I've been there.
I used to stop in and pick up the latest LVA,but now I subscribe.