Justifying plays

There are times when you have to hit 12,13 and even 14,15,16 against a 4,5,6. To me these plays will almost always get some kind of comment from another player, dealer, pit boss even. What do you say in response to their comments?

southAP

I've found that the best thing to do is not justify it, civilians make dumb plays like that all the time. You might get heat from them but the pit will love you for it and trying to justify it esp when your acting skills may be sub par will just bring unwanted attention.

bobstaman said:
There are times when you have to hit 12,13 and even 14,15,16 against a 4,5,6. To me these plays will almost always get some kind of comment from another player, dealer, pit boss even. What do you say in response to their comments?
I say:
"Look i have my own system - in case you missed it, the dealer has red hair and she just won with 17 ( 18 19 20 21 ) ...
... so of course I hit my 13 vs 6, Sheessh!" (rolling eyes:rolleyes:to pitboss)

LV Bear

Administrator
Ignore the ploppies

Ignore them, as if you are deaf. You are not there to make friends with ploppies. Better they think you are an idiot. The most superstitious ones will leave the table, which is what you want them to do.

EmeraldCityBJ

A common error made by many new and/or amateur card counters is that they think they have to justify every action they make, even in cases where someone else does not comment on the play. This isn't limited to playing decisions, and probably occurs more frequently when changing bet sizes. Ploppies don't need to justify their actions, and it's a pretty horrible tell when you feel the need to justify your actions while at the table.

When you do something you think is unusual, just don't say anything, and there's a pretty good chance nobody else will even notice. If someone does say something, either shrug it off, or say as little as possible.

Zach Black

I saw a person double on 13 v 9 the other day he made no justifcation.

Of course he busted and everone at the table thought he was stupid. He left two hands later after he blew through his forty.

Just say nothing and maybe you'll be lumped in with this type.

moo321

EmeraldCityBJ said:
A common error made by many new and/or amateur card counters is that they think they have to justify every action they make, even in cases where someone else does not comment on the play. This isn't limited to playing decisions, and probably occurs more frequently when changing bet sizes. Ploppies don't need to justify their actions, and it's a pretty horrible tell when you feel the need to justify your actions while at the table.

When you do something you think is unusual, just don't say anything, and there's a pretty good chance nobody else will even notice. If someone does say something, either shrug it off, or say as little as possible.
Yep. This is dead-on.

Gamblor

Ehh, while I agree in general you really don't have to say anything, most ploppies will just throw a fit and storm off, I do think your better off if you can think of some answer. Don't want to seem like the quiet, focused intent looking guy, you do want to hold conversations with ploppies and pit. And its good to drop the right "stupid" comments when certain people are within earshot.