Keeping it Simple with BS

I was reading an old post in regards to BS and somebody posted stating that you only really need to memorize one BS for all games becasue the difference between playing one strategy over another is only 0.1% difference.
What is the consensus, do you really need to memorize every single chart for every game, or can you just play one strategy all the time on all games.
Im the sort of guy who strives to keep it as simple as possible and just play consistently.

DC

DC15 said:
I was reading an old post in regards to BS and somebody posted stating that you only really need to memorize one BS for all games becasue the difference between playing one strategy over another is only 0.1% difference.
What is the consensus, do you really need to memorize every single chart for every game, or can you just play one strategy all the time on all games.
One 'composite' BS will suffice, as to #decks, BUT it is necessary to learn some rule-dependent BS variations for DAS and LS. zg

sagefr0g

zengrifter said:
One 'composite' BS will suffice, as to #decks, BUT it is necessary to learn some rule-dependent BS variations for DAS and LS. zg
is there a referance for the chart? i believe i've seen one recommended for double deck thru eight deck.

Kasi

DC15 said:
I was reading an old post in regards to BS and somebody posted stating that you only really need to memorize one BS for all games becasue the difference between playing one strategy over another is only 0.1% difference.DC
Even in an extreme case I doubt if it would be even half that.

aka23

DC15 said:
Im the sort of guy who strives to keep it as simple as possible and just play consistently.

DC
It depends what rule variations are used:

If you are comparing multi-deck hit soft 17 to multi-deck stand on soft 17, then it won't make much difference. There are only 3 strategy differences, and the difference in expected return on those hands between the strategy differences is no more than ~.04. The net impact on overall expected return is much lower since those three hands occur a very small portion of the time.

If you are comparing single-deck with H17, no DAS, and no peek for BJ to standard multi-deck S17, then it will make a lot more difference.

I'd recommend trying to understand why the rule differences occur, then it will be easier to remember.

Last edited:

shadroch

Off-hand,I'd say the biggest difference in BS for various cards involves pairs of 4s.
A hand that I can recall getting perhaps thrice.

moo321

shadroch said:
Off-hand,I'd say the biggest difference in BS for various cards involves pairs of 4s.
A hand that I can recall getting perhaps thrice.
I got it 4 times this last weekend. Got **** every time for splitting them: "you never split 10's, 5's, or 4's!"

shadroch

moo321 said:
I got it 4 times this last weekend. Got **** every time for splitting them: "you never split 10's, 5's, or 4's!"
Why didn't you offer to sell the hand?As you obviously were screwing up the flow of cards,I'm thinking someone would have stepped up to buy the hand and save the table.

mdlbj

moo321 said:
Split 10s on 5.5+ count ( Hi-Lo ), 5s always play as 10, 4s on dealers 5 or 6..

Never say never..

Knox

Me personally I like to customize for the SD and DD games I play. I would not bother with 6D or 8D games, which I avoid if at all possible. I heard maybe .10% gain if you throw in a few custom indexes (e.g portions of the "full" KO system), which I do. Key here to me is that if I have a big bet out I want to die knowing I played it perfectly. Perhaps I am just a bit anal too. More likely I just got a bit bored with regular KO so I don't mind increasing the difficulty a bit. I can handle it and I do get a little bit of EV for my trouble, which I figure compounds over time.

Anything I can do within reason to inflict additional damage on "the man" is worth it to me. :grin:

Tip: if you have customized strategies, write them down and then look at them in the bathroom to refresh your memory. Does anyone else do that?

shadroch

Knox said:
Me personally I like to customize for the SD and DD games I play. I would not bother with 6D or 8D games, which I avoid if at all possible. I heard maybe .10% gain if you throw in a few custom indexes (e.g portions of the "full" KO system), which I do. Key here to me is that if I have a big bet out I want to die knowing I played it perfectly. Perhaps I am just a bit anal too. More likely I just got a bit bored with regular KO so I don't mind increasing the difficulty a bit. I can handle it and I do get a little bit of EV for my trouble, which I figure compounds over time.

Anything I can do within reason to inflict additional damage on "the man" is worth it to me. :grin:

Tip: if you have customized strategies, write them down and then look at them in the bathroom to refresh your memory. Does anyone else do that?
Why bother? Just scroll them on a business card and tuck them into the cellaphane wrap on a hardpack of smokes.