Kentucky Derby -- My Longshot Picks -- Race in 7 hrs.

FLASH1296

Papa Clem to win the derby Wire to Wire

Blew out the fastest 3 furlong workout imaginable.

This colt is on his toes.

This assumes that Rafael Bejarano can get him to break well

My saver is General Quarters

Watch the tote board on this one.

Sandy Eggo

The two I've liked since January:

Fresian Fire and Chocolate Candy.

With I Want Revenge scratched, this changes the dynamic of the race a bit.

ChefJJ

What a race! I had Freisan Fire for the mud play and Papa Clem for the good price, but who knew Mine That Bird would dominate...the jockey drove that light horse through traffic like it was nothing!

They don't consider the Derby the toughest race to handicap for nothing! :joker:

good luck

Katweezel

Have a nice day

ChefJJ said:
What a race! I had Freisan Fire for the mud play and Papa Clem for the good price, but who knew Mine That Bird would dominate...the jockey drove that light horse through traffic like it was nothing!

They don't consider the Derby the toughest race to handicap for nothing! :joker:

good luck
Down here, the Melbourne Cup is Australia's richest race: a field of open-class, 24 horses, that has been making bookies rich for 140 years. Sounds like a similar story with the big-field K Derby for 3-year-olds. Did you have a nice day, JJ? :cat:

ChefJJ

Katweezel said:
Down here, the Melbourne Cup is Australia's richest race: a field of open-class, 24 horses, that has been making bookies rich for 140 years. Sounds like a similar story with the big-field K Derby for 3-year-olds. Did you have a nice day, JJ? :cat:
I made my bets on the way to a wedding, so I wasn't at a track to watch the race go down (actually listened to it on the radio in the car). Outdoor wedding, very nice, open bar...I had a good time :grin:

good luck

GeorgeD

ChefJJ said:

good luck
A gelding too .... not like he was running to be put out to stud. :)

shadroch

Can you clone a gelding and get sperm from him? I'm curious how cloning will affect horse-racing. Will we see multiple clones of Big Brown in the Derby in a few years?

FLASH1296

The Jockey Club will not so much as allow artificial insemination no less cloning for thoroughbreds.

In Harness racing they will permit artificial insemination.

shadroch said:
Can you clone a gelding and get sperm from him? I'm curious how cloning will affect horse-racing. Will we see multiple clones of Big Brown in the Derby in a few years?
No sperm from a gelded anything. Period.

ChefJJ

embryostud said:
No sperm from a gelded anything. Period.
Cloning needs DNA, not sperm though. Shad has an interesting thought, but nothing I want to dwell on for too long. :laugh:

good luck

FLASH1296

Stallions who are derby winners tend to command stud fees between $5,000 and $10,000.

Lets remember that the horse's performance was not exactly fast. His "time" was average.

His winning time was three (3) seconds slower than Secretariat's derby record.

At 1.25 miles that is a difference of > 15 lengths.

bjcount

FLASH1296 said:
Stallions who are derby winners tend to command stud fees between $5,000 and $10,000.

Lets remember that the horse's performance was not exactly fast. His "time" was average.

I heard on Bloomberg News that the owner of the sire of Mine that Bird, I don't remember the ladies name, will be getting $20,000 per shot.... I mean studding fee.

BJC

ChefJJ

FLASH1296 said:

A couple of thoughts on this:

1) The race was in the slop, so the 3 seconds difference from Sec's record does need some temperence.

2) It is interesting to know that a horse's stud fee increases dramatically when his offspring have success. And by dramatically, it could be six figures.

good luck

FLASH1296

ChefJJ said:

1) The race was in the slop, so the 3 seconds difference from Sec's record does need some temperence.

2) It is interesting to know that a horse's stud fee increases dramatically when his offspring have success. And by dramatically, it could be six figures.

Not significant. The track was what is called "Wet-Fast" as indicated by the results in the other races that day.

NO horse has ever come remotely close to a 6 figure stud fee.
Furthermore when he fails to win the Preakness and Belmont Stakes the Derby Winner's (projected) Stud Fee drops dramatically.
BUT, yes if the first crop of yearlings pan out then the fees will appreciate.
Many of the most excellent Stallions and BroodMares alike produced NOT a single race winner, no less a champion.

ChefJJ

FLASH,

To respond to the response ;):

Fair enough on point #1...the track was Off, but not in horrible shape.

Regarding six-figure stud fees, you have to be out of your mind to think that some retired horses do not command $100,000+. Please tell me that you were mistaken.

It's all good. :)

shadroch

According to an article in NY Newsday on Sat., the father of Barbaro, a stallion named Dynaformer, gets $150,000 a pop.
It also says Dynaformer is the biggest horse ever to race.

ChefJJ

FLASH,

I'm not trying to pile on here, but I remember a few years back reading in the DRF about a horse whose stud fee was close to $1M. That's amazing! :cool2:

good luck

MoneyPlays

FLASH1296 said:

Secretariat beat a lot of good horses by >15 lengths in his career. "Big Red" won the Belmont by 31 lengths. :eek:

One second = approximately 5 lengths in any distance of horse race. (save for an Amish buggy race) :grin:
Secretariat won the Belmont by 6+ seconds! :eek: